We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Popoyo transportation

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
6 posts
57 reviews
Popoyo transportation

Hi,

We are planning to vacation in Popoyo in August. We are trying to decide on transportation.We don't want to rent a car in Managua, if we do not need to. We plan on surfing and bringing our surfboards. Are there any local rental car companies in the area and do we need a 4x4 car? If not, is there availability to hire a driver or are there surf tours that will drive to different surf breaks?

Thank you

1 reply
Golden, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
1. Re: Popoyo transportation

I am near Popoyo right now and there are places to rent cars in the area. There is an Alamo office near the Costa Esmerelda airport, which is about 30 minutes from Popoyo. I've seen Avis offices in the area too. Check with the surf camps in the Popoyo area about getting driven to breaks, I've seen services like that listed on their websites. There is also a company called Surfari Charters that will take you to breaks that are only reachable by boat.

Due to the recent violence & protest in the Managua area, most visitors are staying away from Managua. Again, the surf camps can assist with transportation to / from Managua. Many surfers are now flying into Costa Esmerelda from Managua or from Costa Rica. That's what we did a few weeks ago instead of driving in from Costa Rica. The area around Popoyo / Playa Gigante is very quiet - no evidence of the unrest, other than an occasional shortage of groceries or gas when there are roadblocks. The people are friendly & happy to see visitors since so many have stayed away. Many little hotels & restaurants have closed due to lack of business.

The good news for surfers is that the breaks are usually almost empty, even the ones that are usually crowded! The most I've seen is about 25 people out at Popoyo one day last week, the other breaks in the area usually see just a few people out.

Reply to: Popoyo transportation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Popoyo
Recent Conversations