We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which ones are the BEST Golden Ring towns to visit

Long Island Cit
Level Contributor
3 posts
46 reviews
Which ones are the BEST Golden Ring towns to visit

My hubby and I are going at the end of September 2018 to Moscow and SP. In addition we have 2 or 3 extra days and we want to visit some Golden Ring Towns.

The general consensus is that Suzdal and Vladimir are best, but it's hard to figure out what else to visit.

Our goal is to see a variety of places, we're not looking to spend a lot of time in one place and would prefer to see places at a faster pace.

Any recommendations on which Golden Rings towns and cities should be a priority? Any other recommendations are welcome too. Thanks!!!!

4 replies to this topic
Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
44 posts
139 reviews
1. Re: Which ones are the BEST Golden Ring towns to visit

In addition to Suzdal and Vladimir we did a day trip to Sergiev Posad. It was an easy day: a couple of hours each way on a suburban train service and a few hours in Sergiev Posad, most of that time at the beautiful convent. Very enjoyable.

Moscow Oblast...
8 posts
2. Re: Which ones are the BEST Golden Ring towns to visit

I'd recommend you to visit Yaroslavl. The autumn is the best time to do it. It's one of the oldest and beautiful cities in Central Russia near the Volga (the longest river in Europe). It's about 250 km from Moscow. You can travel by morning RZD high-speed train (07.35) from Yaroslavsky railway station. It will take about 3 hours and cost 1000 RUB/person. Also, you can stop in Sergiev Posad when you'll be back. If you want you can book a hotel in Yaroslavl. It is not so expensive.

Moscow Oblast...
Level Contributor
387 posts
38 reviews
3. Re: Which ones are the BEST Golden Ring towns to visit

I would vote for Uglich, but it's not very easy to get there, because there are no direct trains from Moscow, only buses. And buses are not so fast and comfortable.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
3,617 posts
253 reviews
4. Re: Which ones are the BEST Golden Ring towns to visit

I know people from Brussels, they took a river cruise to Uglich - no Russia, first time in this country :))

Told me afterwords it went absolutely fine.

For my part I rather like Kolomna, apart from their famous apple pastries they have a Kremlin of their own with people still living there :))

Reply to: Which ones are the BEST Golden Ring towns to visit
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Golden Ring