We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ouzina Piste from Taouz to Ramlia

Lisbon District...
4 posts
Ouzina Piste from Taouz to Ramlia

Hi,

I´m planning a motorcycle tour to Morocco. It´s my first time there. When arriving at Merzouga I would like to ride the Ouzina Piste until Ramlia and back in one mornning. I´m no expert riding offroad and have a bike litle bit heavy ( honda transalp 650). That is a easy piste or have to much sand to get stuck?

Thanks in advance

6 replies to this topic
Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,715 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Ouzina Piste from Taouz to Ramlia

It's easy until Ramlia. I've uploaded a map showing a circular route in blue.

Map: morocco-knowledgebase.net/tim/map-ramlia-pis…

The village of Taouz is where the blue, red and green tracks converge just below the 'Taouz petrographs' waypoint. It then goes south west towards Jadid and then south to Ouzina where there's a line of six auberges which would be a good coffee stop. There's fuel in cans at Jadid and Ramlia. More coffee/tea at Ramlia.

The blue route then goes north to Hasi Ba Hallou which is supposed to be an old Portuguese fort or maybe trading post. You could try continuing east back to Jadid but there's difficult sand, so maybe just retrace your route.

Write-up with some videos of the piste: morocco-knowledgebase.net/forum/…

Also worth exploring are the mines of M'Fis, see later posts on the above thread.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 13:16
Lisbon District...
4 posts
2. Re: Ouzina Piste from Taouz to Ramlia

Thank you for your information Tim. It was very helpfull.

Best regards

Stockholm, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
10,972 posts
171 reviews
3. Re: Ouzina Piste from Taouz to Ramlia

Nice to see one traveler who want to explore more than only sand dunes, LOL

It is nice piste there so you will have a nice trip. I have been there by 4x4 and like very much the whole area there. To see the Portuguese fortress there is surprise because one not expect that Portuguese's were building those in the desert, but along the coast. But they chose very good place and got view over the all directions. You will even drive over remains of salt lake, so big white lake it is there, I loved it.

Maybe you can even drive around sand dunes there, if you continue from M'Fis you can see then remains of old kasbah there, meet former Nomads there, river bed with fossils etc. And even the rest of like Saint-Exupery airplane.

Lisbon District...
4 posts
4. Re: Ouzina Piste from Taouz to Ramlia

Thanks Khamlia. As portuguese I realy Would like to visit the portuguese ruins. But We are four motards with no experience on riding on sand and Tim said that from Ramlia towards the ruins these is some spots with smooth sand. We will go until we can. Tanks a lot.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
12,715 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: Ouzina Piste from Taouz to Ramlia

The difficult sand is after Hassi Bahallou. Here's a video of the approach from Ramlia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weeFwoN1KAI

Lisbon District...
4 posts
6. Re: Ouzina Piste from Taouz to Ramlia

Ooh! Ok Tim. So we arrive at Ramlia (drink a coffee ☺) and ride until the ruins and come back with no problem. I already saw your videos of the ouzina piste and Bah Halloo. That's an amaizing landscape. Thanks a lot.

Reply to: Ouzina Piste from Taouz to Ramlia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Oriental Region