We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxis - Honest or not

Lake of Bays, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
Taxis - Honest or not

We have been warned that taxis in Santiagpo will try to scam tourists which surprises me. I know many places in the world where that is true but Santiago is a cut above, so to speak.

Do they really have a special button on the steering wheel to accelerate the meter or is that just talk? We are only going from Lastarria to Alemeda Station which, I'm told, should be less then 5,000 pesos.

Any comments or advice appreciated.

Orkney Islands...
6 posts
1 review
1. Re: Taxis - Honest or not

I don't know about the button on the meter, but we were charged 3000 pesos to the cathedral from our hotel and 6000 on the way back!!

The one to was from a rank but we hailed the return one, a lesson learned.

Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Taxis - Honest or not

In our recent trip to Santiago we didn't feel that at all. They are controlled strictily by authorities... They are everywhere ... Easy to have one free.

Lake of Bays, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
3. Re: Taxis - Honest or not

Thanks. We'll see how it goes.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,619 posts
79 reviews
4. Re: Taxis - Honest or not

Like #1 I have legitimately been charged double for the same journey. It worked in our favour going to the airport. Some drivers will bend the rules occasionally.

Dont sweat 3000 pesos.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,622 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Taxis - Honest or not

Scotfiona, you had your money stolen in the cathedral and a bad taxi driver?! Definitely above average bad luck.

Santiago is a big city and in big cities you can find dishonest taxi drivers - anywhere in the world . But, in general, taxis are safe and the drivers honest. You can always phone for a radio taxi and ask what the fare will be.

Lake of Bays, Canada
Level Contributor
212 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Taxis - Honest or not

Thanks, that what I thought. Most taxi drivers are fine and a few aren't. I think the fare from Lastarria to the central bus station should be 3,500 - 4,000 so even if we pay double, while we won't like it, will just be part of the experience. Not enough $$ to worry about.

Do taxis charge extra for luggage?

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
7,139 posts
15 reviews
7. Re: Taxis - Honest or not

Taxis do not charge for luggage.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33,619 posts
79 reviews
8. Re: Taxis - Honest or not

If its on a meter, the fare can vary depending on traffic. Same as in London. Happy to be told I'm mistaken by a local expert, but that's how I understood it.

Taxis from the airport though are usually priced in advance, and the driver doesnt see the money.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
7,139 posts
15 reviews
9. Re: Taxis - Honest or not

Quite right. The beers have both a distance and a time component. So the fare will depend on traffic.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
769 posts
13 reviews
10. Re: Taxis - Honest or not

Just ask what the price will be before you get in. If it's metered and he/she says 'mas o menos' then you may expect to pay 5%ish either side of his quote.

Get answers to your questions about Santiago Metropolitan...