We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

underwater observatory closed in bad weather

Boston...
Level Contributor
202 posts
109 reviews
underwater observatory closed in bad weather

It is worth noting that in bad weather conditions, such as rough seas, the underwater observatory closes due to poor visibility. This makes perfect sense of course, but was not something I had considered when planning our trip! We went into Busselton specifically to visit the underwater observatory and famous jetty. It was a very cold and windy day in June, and the sea was rough. So windy in fact, that they were considering stopping the little train too!

We had a nice fish and chips lunch and enjoyed a bit of a walk, but I did feel a bit silly for not even thinking about what the visibility would be like, given the winter weather. The pictures of the beach and jetty on the Internet are all taken on calm blue sky days, and I had foolishly imagined that it would be just like that. Especially after seeing how clear and blue the water at Rottnest island was, even on an equally cold and windy day!

Worth being aware of the changeable sea conditions, if you are planning your itinerary around visiting the observatory.

11 replies to this topic
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
31,302 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: underwater observatory closed in bad weather

"It is worth noting that in bad weather conditions, such as rough seas, the underwater observatory closes due to poor visibility. This makes perfect sense of course, but was not something I had considered when planning our trip! "

That's unfortunate.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
17,191 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: underwater observatory closed in bad weather

Sorry your day was spoiled but logically if you are going to travel somewhere in winter you can't expect to not experience wintery conditions.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
25 reviews
3. Re: underwater observatory closed in bad weather

In winter in Busselton I'd expect colder temperatures, and higher rainfall.

I'm not sure I would have necessarily expected rougher seas, which presumably were the cause of the poor visibility?

Boston...
Level Contributor
202 posts
109 reviews
4. Re: underwater observatory closed in bad weather

Obviously we expected winter conditions in winter! It is what we wanted! (We needed a break from the heat in Singapore.)

Actually there is no reason to assume that cold temperatures and wind (i.e., wintery conditions) will automatically cause lower visibility. We visited Rottnest Island, in similar weather, a few days before hand. The water there was crystal clear. We also snorkelled at Ningaloo Reef in cold windy weather. (Visibility was slightly reduced due to the choppy conditions, but not so much that we couldn't see the fish!).

I think the difference at Busselton may be due to the fine sediment in the bay. The water was essentially brown. Further internet research suggests that the observatory is actually closed 2-3 months of the year due to poor visibility, but this is not mentioned on the observatory website. Hmmmm

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
31,302 posts
77 reviews
5. Re: underwater observatory closed in bad weather

It's good that you enjoyed the rest of your trip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
202 posts
109 reviews
6. Re: underwater observatory closed in bad weather

Luigi,

We had a wonderful holiday thanks! I am actually writing an article about it for a magazine here in Singapore, as I think it is a great place to go in the June school holidays to escape the "summer" heat and humidity. We actually enjoyed visiting Busselton too, but obviously just the wrong time of the year for the observatory. Cheers, mel

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
31,302 posts
77 reviews
7. Re: underwater observatory closed in bad weather

It would be wonderful to hear about the good part of your holiday, rather than just the "glass half empty" bit.

Boston...
Level Contributor
202 posts
109 reviews
8. Re: underwater observatory closed in bad weather

As our visit to Busselton was only brief, so the rest of our trip is a tale for other forums. I have posted a review of our lovely day cycling on Rottnest Island mind you. I try to only post stuff that adds new and useful information. (Things I wish I had known, or things I'm glad I knew beforehand). So on the Exmouth forum I posted a suggestion that people be aware of how chilly the water is in winter, and a tip on where to hire wetsuits. (We might have looked funny struggling into them on the beach, but we could stay in the water for as long as we wanted!)

Young, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: underwater observatory closed in bad weather

The underwater observatory was closed when we visited in September this year as well - doesn't have to be winter I guess :)

Busselton
Level Contributor
23 posts
35 reviews
10. Re: underwater observatory closed in bad weather

Good advice! If this happens try a drive down the west coast to canal rocks for a great ocean in winter experience! Plenty of great dining and drinking venues that are all weather! Hope you still enjoyed your visit😊

Reply to: underwater observatory closed in bad weather
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Busselton