We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noosa or Calounda - choice of accommodations

cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
264 posts
Noosa or Calounda - choice of accommodations

Hi, we are 2 adults and a teen visiting OZ in July 2017. We would like to visit Sunshine coast for teen to learn to surf. We have looked at accommodation in Noosa and Caloundra (4 nights stay) Could you please help which one to choose (our budget is $ 200 ish per night)

Noosa : Colonial or Sandy beach

Caloundra : Watermark, Windward Passage, Rumba (more expensive)

or somewhere else?

I read Noosa is expensive to stay. Any sugestion is much appreciated. We would like to visit surrounding area (car) and not just staying on the beach. We plan to stay at Hervey Beach (for Fraser Island) before and Brisbane after.

Many thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,559 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: Noosa or Calounda - choice of accommodations

Both are lovely, but if you are wanting specifically to learn to surf, Caloundra has many more options, as it is on a headland with beaches facing different directions, getting different waves. I also think the views in Caloundra are more interesting.

I am familiar with Rumba, and it is an excellent location. The other two are a little further away from the surf beaches and Restaursnt strip.

Have a lok at Rolling Surf at Kings Beach, and any other Kings Beach/Bullcock Beach locations, but for me, Rumba is the pick.

Noosa can be more expensive, as it has higher priced properties, and more high-end dining. Caloundra has myriad dining options, from a couple of high end Restaursnts, to cheap and cheerful Asian, to surf clubs that out on excellent value for money meals.

Cheers.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
13,775 posts
277 reviews
2. Re: Noosa or Calounda - choice of accommodations

Hi,

+1 for sweetbiscuits recommendations, and with your budget I would look at staying close to Kings Beach, actually you should be able to get a unit right on the beachfront, possibly Rolling Surf, if not Rolling Surf there's a lot more near by.

http://northcaloundrasurfschool.com.au/

Safe travels - Robert

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,494 posts
295 reviews
3. Re: Noosa or Calounda - choice of accommodations

Hi

The accommodation you mention in Noosa is actually in Noosaville which is on the river. I love it there but it's a bus ride or a short drive to Noosa Heads and the surf beach. But there is a lot of accommodation there, it's cheaper than Noosa Heads as are the restaurants.

But I agree with the other posters that Caloundra would be a better option if your son wants to learn to surf.

Windward Passage has good accommodation (I've stayed there) but it's on the main road to Golden Beach. The closer you can stay to Kings Beach, the better and then you'll be close to the restaurants and cafes on offer as well as being on a patrolled surf beach.

cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
264 posts
4. Re: Noosa or Calounda - choice of accommodations

Sweetbiscuit, Rob and nzlilibet, Thank you so much for all your information and advise. I am now looking at accommodation in Caloundra. I understand that some accommodations don't offer linen or towel. Is this the norm? Rob, thank you for surfing school information. Much appreciated.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,559 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: Noosa or Calounda - choice of accommodations

Some more budget friendly accom may require you to bring linen - but check if they can supply for a fee. I suppose some private rentals might also not supply linen.....but everywhere I've stayed has supplied it. Certainly, places like Rolling Surf/Rumba supply linen.

Cheers.

cambridgeshire
Level Contributor
264 posts
6. Re: Noosa or Calounda - choice of accommodations

Thank you all for all your helps. We have sorted our accommodation in Caloundra, Looking at surfing school and what to see around Caloundra, between Brisbane, Hervey Bay, Caloundra and Brisbane.

7. Re: Noosa or Calounda - choice of accommodations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2018, 06:48