We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Coast NSW to Kununurra NT route suggestions please.

Sapphire Coast
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
South Coast NSW to Kununurra NT route suggestions please.

Travelling to Kununurra early March.

Have a 3 week time frame so time is not on our side. Any route suggestions and is it worth seeing Katherine or take the Buchanan Hwy & cut across. We will do our exploring at a later date. Cheers!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Coast NSW to Kununurra NT route suggestions please.

Via Dubbo-Longreach-Mt Isa-Tennant Creek. I'm not familiar with the stretch between Dubbo and Longeach. We stayed Longreach 2 nights. One night Mt Isa (and Cloncurry in another trip). Tennant Creek and Katherine. The stretch from Katherine to Kununurra is a nice one. Can't judge for Buchanan because it's unpaved and we didnot do. South of Katherine is Mataranka. Nice hot pools and the flying foxes flew out at dusk. I spectacular sight. In Katherine we visited the Gorge, Edith Falls, Springvale and stayed several days.

Hope local experts can give you more info also about travelling in march and the flooding.

Tet

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: South Coast NSW to Kununurra NT route suggestions please.

Would definately stick to the main sealed highways in March and check road conditions daily as even the highway has been known to get cut off by rivers flooding. http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadreport - Locals always provide the best advice so i'm sure they wouldn't mind a phone call at Timber Creek or Victoria River Roadhouse before you travel their way.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,440 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: South Coast NSW to Kununurra NT route suggestions please.

Flood waters moving down from Queensland may impact inland NSW for several months - do as DMobb suggests and check with the folk at the road house.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Coast NSW to Kununurra NT route suggestions please.

The Buchannan Highway is unsealed for a lot of the distance and by March it will probably still be closed especially around the WA border as back in November that section was already classified as high clearance 4WD with care. Check the NSW and Queensland road reports before you go as to the status of the roads you plan to travel over. While that way is sealed there are many floodways which could be damaged by the recent rains. I went that way in January a couple of years ago just after some heavy rains and caution was required in quite a few places with wash aways.

Roma, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Coast NSW to Kununurra NT route suggestions please.

Assuming the roads are clear of water and you can choose your path then I can recommend the inland route through NSW and QLD. I guess it depends how far south on the south coast you are as to where you might cut across. As stated above for a march trip stick to bitumen roads. The water might be gone but you really can't expect that any grading or road maintenance will get done until later in April.

On Sunday 15th Jan I left Melbourne and drove 2500km to Cloncurry, getting there by 3pm Tuesday afternoon.

Day 1 was Melbourne to Cobar via Deniliquin, Hay & Hillston, leaving at 8am and getting into Cobar well before dark. I could have got to Bourke but have been advised not to camp at Bourke as the town is struggling with Anti social behaviour. I quite liked Cobar, it seems a comfy little town. Just a warning, the Green Curry at the RSL is super hot. It was the only place doing meals on the Sunday night but there seemed to be plenty of Motels there.

Day 2 was Cobar to Barcaldine (QLD) via Mitchell Hwy and Landsborough Highways. If you have a liking for sheepskin products or have need of special teddies for gifts then a stop in Tambo at the Tambo Teddy shop is a lovely break. I hope they still do it, it is 6 years since I was there in buiness hours. I stayed at the Union Pub in Barcaldine, the food was fine but the room was not my cup of tea. Very noisy box aircon and an internal room that caught light from the dining area so curtains closed in the noisy cell.

Day 3 was Barcaldine to Cloncurry with a very leisurely breakfast stop in Longreach and another stop in to see friends for 1/2 hour or more, home by 3pm.

Of course a week later it rained heavily and much of that route is expecting record flood levels, especially in the Charleville area. That said, if the roads are open, then any of those flood affected towns are going to be grateful for your dollar as you pass through.

Longreach is generally a reasonable place to stop for fuel as is Mt Isa and Tennant Creek (not the 3 ways servo, go that little bit south). The Tennant Creek Information centre has a line of clothing, bags and tea towels called Cheeky Dog which always make me smile. They show cartoon designs by a local indigenious boy who has a disability or two.

Depending on your available time, Longreach is well worth spending a little time, both the QANTAS museum and the Stockman's Hall of Fame are well done and it is a pleasant little town. Cloncurry is where John Flynn launched the Royal Flying Doctor Service. There is the John Flynn museum which to my eternal shame I have not yet visited.

Cloncurry to Darwin is 1700km or thereabouts and I have done it in one day leaving at 4am and arriving at about 9pm. Not something I intend to repeat or recommend anyone else to do. Do not plan to camp at Elliot, that place always gives me the creeps.

I have stayed overnight in the rooms at the Dunmarra roadhouse in early 2010. Very basic but you had your own bathroom and the place seemed clean and safe and the staff were welcoming. I'm sure they allowed camping there as well.

There are nice campgrounds out at the Mataranka Springs which we used frequently back in 1999. Certainly worth the detour for a dip in the springs, perhaps someone else can give you an update on the quality of the camping facilities these days.

Carry plenty of insect repellent. The mozzies and midges are likely to be proper thick in many places.

I'm jealous, just on the tail of the wet will be a beautiful time to travel. You should be able to see waterfalls from the highway in the Vic River area.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,740 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Coast NSW to Kununurra NT route suggestions please.

Err Ravtown the original post was made over a year ago so the post should have been closed now.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Coast NSW to Kununurra NT route suggestions please.

Yes, it would but it's not.... Thanks for your TR Ravtown.

Roma, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Coast NSW to Kununurra NT route suggestions please.

lol, I keep forgetting to change years. Still haven't caught up to 2012 yet :)

9. Re: South Coast NSW to Kununurra NT route suggestions please.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 00:45
Get answers to your questions about Kununurra