We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NZ in 2.5 weeks - suggestions please?

-
5 posts
Save Topic
NZ in 2.5 weeks - suggestions please?

I will be in NZ for 2.5 weeks in November, arriving Auckland and departing from Christchurch. Will be relying on buses, trains and flights only as do not drive. Any recommendations on itinerary, how many days to spend where, what to omit etc. How best to plan the trip in terms of order of where we go to etc. Many thanks for help

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: NZ in 2.5 weeks - suggestions please?

beves

there are several bus companies offering a variety of itineraries.

I think one of them is called the magic bus and there are the big green buses.

They run a circular route on different itineraries and they are quite flexible in that you can hop of at each stage of the journey and rejoin the tour when you like.

I am sorry to be sketchy as I only saw them when driving although I did meet a couple who were satisfied with the service.

Perhaps zapper or other local expert can provide a more detailed response regarding these bus tours

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NZ in 2.5 weeks - suggestions please?

Here is the site for the magic bus company, surprisingly called -www.magicbus.co.nz/

The green buses belong to Kiwi Experience and here is their site- www.kiwiexperience.com/

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NZ in 2.5 weeks - suggestions please?

well zapper what can I say

you really do portray the spirit of NZ

I knew you would be on the ball but this quick?

nice one

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NZ in 2.5 weeks - suggestions please?

What a sad case I am- just waiting for a query! Weather has been cold and wet and I've been painting a poster all day for a "Moulin Rouge" party we're having at local club with my trusty computer handy, ready to respond! - though this post is a bit late 'cause we've been off to cheer the All Blacks on- luckily they won...........just, again, they're gonna have to pick up their game plan to win the world cup next year!

Northland, New...
Level Contributor
700 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: NZ in 2.5 weeks - suggestions please?

The 2 bus companies mentionned (Magic & Kiwi Experience) tend to be used by backpackers mostly. So if you are a 'backpacker' and/or under 30, and are keen to meet loads of people along the way, they are a great option.

If you are keener to have a more independent experience, then you might want to consider getting an inter city bus pass. These buses run to pretty much all the main centres, and are just the standard NZ bus service, so will be a wide mixture of tourists & locals of all ages. (www.intercitycoach.co.nz).

As far as your itinerary goes, very much depends on what kind of things you want to see & do (eg. hiking, watersports, countryside, extreme sports, cities, wineries etc etc)

If there is anything you are definitely wanting to do, or anything you are definitely NOT wanting to do, then let us know!

2.5 weeks is not that long to do both islands, esp. when travelling by bus, so something that I often recommend is to do some of the North Island, and then take a flight to maybe Queenstown in the S Island - you can then cut out a day or 2 of bus travel.

Get answers to your questions about Arrowtown