We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time plans!

S.W Wales
Level Contributor
249 posts
15 reviews
First time plans!

Hi My wife and I are planning a trip to Croatia, our very first and have found flights for £310 return from UK to Split arriving late Saturday night for a week at the end of May.

We wanted to get a taste of Croatia in our week, but my wife will be around 5 months pregnant by the time we fly so are wanting a relaxing time as well, so heres our thoughts...

Arrive late Saturday night at airport and get bus into Split centre and stay near harbour

Next morning catch early ferry over to HVAR and stay for 4 days in HVAR itself at a nice hotel with pool to relax

Thursday afternoon/evening get ferry from HVAR back to Split and check into hotel and have evening meal in centre of Split

Next day take tour of Plitvice (appreciate this is a long day but looks too good to miss)

The next day we fly home around 8pm so have all day to wonder around Split old town before heading to the airport, we will leave bags at hotel in split while wondering around town.

The other option would be to Do the split part of the leg first then go to Hvar for the end of the trip.

So what are your thoughts?

Any hotel recommendations in old part of Split or Hvar island?

Any tour companies to Plitvice (I guess some people will say don't bother going!? with the amount of time we have etc)

Ive seen a nice bar called Hula Hula in Hvar but cant find the location! my wife im sure would love to watch the sun go down here - is this walkable from the town itself?

We wont hire a car as ive only ever driven once outside of the UK and don't wish to add any stress.

Any help appreciated.

Virginia
Level Contributor
4,406 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: First time plans!

You will want to be on the mainland before your flight, so the initial itinerary with time in Split last makes the most sense.

Decide at the time if you want to do an excursion to Plitvice. You could consider Krka, which is closer. Let the pregnant lady make the decision.

Search the TA hotel listings for places with pools.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
7,026 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: First time plans!

There's lots of places with stunning views. It's early for the clubs on Hvar which tend not to open until June. I like the oldest hotel in Hvar Town, the Palace, which is great in May/June as it doesn't have air con and you don't need it then. It's part of the chain of hotels that are in Hvar Town and you can use all their facilities. Having said that the Palace does have its own small pool and superb views from the terrace. There are day trips to Plitvice from Split (and Trogir which could be another option once you return to the mainland) but they won't run every day at that time. You would probably need to get it booked before you head to Hvar. Try the Split tourist info: http://visitsplit.com/en/7/tourist-agencies - contact the agencies. The agency that I have used in Trogir called Portal (also covers Split) only goes 3 times a week and I think that is in the season: portal-trogir.com/excursions/…

S.W Wales
Level Contributor
249 posts
15 reviews
3. Re: First time plans!

OK so here my plans:

Day 1 arrive 20.30pm at airport - get bus to split and stay night in old town split

Day 2 - Spend morning an early afternoon in split taking in the sites and old town before taking the 16.30pm ferry to Hvar

Days 3,4,5 - Relax in Hvar

Day 6 - take early ferry back to split and bus to Trogir, and spend day at Trogir

Day 7 - Take day tour to Plitvice lakes staying in Trogir

Day 8 - Spend morning and day in Trogir before catching evening flight home

This way we should have time to relax, see Trogir, Split, Hvar and Plitvice lakes

Sofia, Bulgaria
Level Contributor
86 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: First time plans!

a few points if you are interested:

1) Hula Hula is easily within walking distance from Hvar's main square; there is a shore-hugging promenade all the way from the center to Hula Hula and beyond; but stay open to the possibility you may be underwhelmed: it's just chairs and tables by the sea; i don't really see what the big deal is (except as a playground for hook-ups, that I get; but that would not be your objective, I gather)

2) look into European Coastal Airlines as an alternative to getting the ferry from Split to the island of Hvar; it would save time if their schedule works for you (their flights are not direct to Hvar town but they pick you up with a shuttle bus at Jelsa to take you to your ultimate destination)

in any event, you will have an amazing time, I am sure; Hvar is B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!

Edited: 04 March 2015, 19:29
Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
37 reviews
5. Re: First time plans!

Regarding preganancy and Plitvice, do take into account two things:

- google "plitvice map" to get a non-interactive image map. Entering at main (1) entrance gets you right onto pretty steep descent down to park proper. It's not dangerous, but it is a rocky/gravel path with stone steps that might be a challenge. Consider entering at entrance 2, and work your visit from there, but you will need to let the tour guide know this, as entrances are pretty far apart..

- it is pretty far between toilet facilities

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,597 posts
170 reviews
6. Re: First time plans!

I would cut a day from Hvar and add it to Trogir. Use it to visit Krka NP, Primosten and Sibenik. I don't think you would regret that decision.

7. Re: First time plans!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2016, 12:47
Get answers to your questions about Split-Dalmatia County