We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland to Whangarei

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Auckland to Whangarei

We are arriving at Auckland Airport 11.30am Saturday and hiring a car. Is it too far or late to drive to Whangarei for two night?

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Whangarei
Whangarei
Northland Region, New Zealand
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland to Whangarei

No not at all, it's an easy 2hrs and you'll still be on melbourne time so be wide awake!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland to Whangarei

Great thanks for your prompt reply

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
17,039 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland to Whangarei

Kia Ora,

I live in Whangarei city and love its environment and diverse scenery. Enjoy the drive north, especially to visit our vibrant city. As Zappers has identified the road trip is an easy journey. If you have time during your stay, a cruise to the Poor Knights Islands marine reserve is especially rewarding. Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Whangarei
Whangarei
Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland to Whangarei

Beinf realistic, from Auckland Airport its more like 2.5-3 hours driving time, but still definitely very much do-able once you get off your flight.

You might even want to consider some of the excellent detours off the main route:

Puhoi

Matakana

Mangawhai

Waipu

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auckland to Whangarei

Really Andy?? I can do the top of the Bombays to Whangarei city centre in a little under two hours(and even a bit quicker now with the toll road). I know it's motorway all the way through Auckland but then that's from further south than the airport.

Actually cherryripe, if you follow the directions to the Southern Motorway(for heading south) when you leave the airport it gets you onto the Southern motorway at Manakau(head north then though-confused? :) alot quicker than weaving yourself through busy Auckland streets to come out onto the motorway further up towards the city.

Mentioned in this post
Whangarei
Whangarei
Auckland
Auckland
Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auckland to Whangarei

Hi Zappers - I'm just phoning the speed camera van as we speak !!!

Most B&B guests that arrive at our place driving from AKL airport (admittedly we are 10 minutes further than Whangarei city), report that it takes 2.5 hours at least.

Mentioned in this post
Whangarei
Whangarei
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Auckland to Whangarei

LOL! Yes that could be the reason! :)

Whangarei, New...
Level Contributor
783 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Auckland to Whangarei

I agree with Andy- 2 hours and you are SPEEDING !

I did the airport run on Sunday night at 2 am. No Traffic, no holdups and i sat on the speed limit. 2 hours 15 minutes.

Visitors will take longer. not knowing the road, probably stoping to pay the toll. The auckland motorway, even on a Saturday will not be traffic free.Not difficult to get lost negotiating the route from Airport to Manakau interchange.

Cherryripe i would allow 3 hours to be certain.

More important to be aware that on your return to, and through Auckland on Monday, the motorway will be choked solid from 4pm - 6pm. At this time you can be down to walking pace, so avoid that period.

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Auckland to Whangarei

OK I accept two slaps on the hand! But next time I drive it I'm going to be doing a thorough time & speed check.

10. Re: Auckland to Whangarei

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2010, 09:48
Get answers to your questions about Whangarei