We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oceans Resort Tutukaka

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Oceans Resort Tutukaka

Hi everyone,

I am tripping across references to a new resort in Tutukaka called "Oceans Resort" It doesn't appear to have a website up and running, though they do seem to have a domain name.

Does anyone know anything about this place and how to contact them. They appear to be situated just up behind the marina. Seems a convenient location for a couple of nights for trip to the Poor Knights Islands

Mentioned in this post
Tutukaka
Tutukaka
Northland Region, New Zealand
Whangarei, Northland
Level Contributor
2,648 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oceans Resort Tutukaka

This hotel opened about 3 years ago, but went bust about 6 months ago, and is currently closed.

It is rumoured to have been bought by someone and is said to be re-opening approx September, but thats all very vague at the moment.

We run a B&B about 15 minutes from Tutukaka, so we know the area and all the accommodation options quite well.

If you want any further info about other accommodation options in the area, then let us know....

Mentioned in this post
Tutukaka
Tutukaka
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oceans Resort Tutukaka

Thanks Andychef, I should probably just be patient I suppose.

we are struggling a bit with our Tutukaka accommodation to be honest probably because I'm a bit of a compulsive pre-planner.. the copthorne at Omapere already being booked out for our date did not help the situation LOL.

We really like the look of Pacific Rendevous, but they don't take bookings that far ahead... do you know how available their places are in Feb for 1 bedders? If we get in as soon as bookings for Feb open are do have a reasonable chance of getting something 1 bed do you think?

Not knowing the area, as a matter of principle if I could snap my fingers and come up with an ideal it would be walking distance to the meeting place for A Perfect Day, and Schnappa Rock and the Marina, maybe an early morning walk or swim before the tour. We're only in Tutukaka for 2 nights. We are coming up from Goat Island that day, so aren't sure if we'll just have a quick snorkel at GI and head on up to Tutukaka or if we'll get in at tea time... this is why I'm thinking somewhere close to the action would be good.

We have had very good reports about Bellmain, but we usually go for hotel/motel type accommodation suited to the shy and antisocial (...well we are from Sydney ;o) LOL... any ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Tutukaka
Tutukaka
Omapere
Omapere
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,483 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oceans Resort Tutukaka

Snodge, have you looked at Lupton Lodge? Much, much more than your usual B&B and very handily located for Tutukaka. There's actually not that much accommodation at Tutukaka itself, it a classic Kiwi beach/holiday location and not kitted our for mass tourism.

http://www.luptonlodge.co.nz/

I have very fond memories of Snappa Rock, friends started and ran this business by the seat of their pants for many years, it just grew and grew from a 2bob dream.

Mentioned in this post
Lupton Lodge
Lupton Lodge
318 Reviews
Whangarei, New Zealand
Tutukaka
Tutukaka
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oceans Resort Tutukaka

Thanks again Zappers, I'll have a look at it and talk it over with hubby. :o)

5. Re: Oceans Resort Tutukaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 March 2010, 05:35
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,117 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oceans Resort Tutukaka

Thanks WendyNM, Will contact directly.

Louth, Lincs, UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oceans Resort Tutukaka

Can anybody clarify the situation with Oceans Resort in Tutukaka.........

I have been looking for accommodation in or around Tutukaka for the weekend 20th Novevember 2009. In my search I came across Apartment Marina Views from Coastal Holiday Homes that looked just right. The apartment location looked like Oceans Resort.

After more searching on here I found these posts saying that Oceans Resort is closed. This concerned me and so I asked Coastal Holiday Homes for clarification.

Coastal Holiday homes replied:

"Apartment Marina Views is situated at the old Oceans Resort. The Resort is closed however there are privately owned Apartments which I manage bookings for."

The weekend I'm trying to arrange is for me and my husband to spend our final weekend in NZ with our daughter who lives in Auckland and we want to do Poor Knights on the Perfect Day cruise. It's important to us that the accommodation is also near perfect for this weekend.

Can anyone advise what the situation is with Oceans? Are we better off looking somewhere else and if so where. We need 2 bedroom accommodation for 3 nights in or around Tutukaka

Mentioned in this post
Tutukaka
Tutukaka
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,229 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oceans Resort Tutukaka

Have you looked at nearby Ngunguru for sccommodation? - it's just over the hill from Tutukaka - several motels, and holiday homes across the road from the estuary. Matapaouri is not far from Tut's either.

http://www.holidayhouses.co.nz/Ngunguru

Oceans has been purchased by Ngati Wai Trust and will reopen, but I'm not sure when/if in time for your planned visit.

A Perfect Day cruise to Poor Knights is wonderful!

I would go again in a heart-beat - just loved the sights, and the high quality of service and wealth of knowledge from the crew, along with good on- board facilities. Have an excellent day out!

Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Ngunguru
Ngunguru
Tutukaka
Tutukaka
9. Re: Oceans Resort Tutukaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 January 2010, 12:55
Get answers to your questions about Whangarei
Recent Conversations