We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great ocean road & schoolies Gold Coast nov 2018

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Great ocean road & schoolies Gold Coast nov 2018

Hi

We are travelling to Melbourne from Scotland in November and hope to do the great ocean road from 15- 20 th ,are we ok to just go with the flow and not book any accommodation or should we pre book?

We then planned to fly to the Gold Coast for 5 days but have since learned that schoolies is on during these dates we had looked at Peppers Soul apartments but now worry it will be noisy and full of partying kids!! Any advice ? We had hoped for 5 days beach flop before going to Sydney for last 3 days then flying home from there

8 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,971 posts
170 reviews
1. Re: Great ocean road & schoolies Gold Coast nov 2018

I don't think you need to pre book accommodation in November.

Why not skip GC and go to Sunshine Coast and Noosa Heads in particular. It is much nicer than GC.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
54 reviews
2. Re: Great ocean road & schoolies Gold Coast nov 2018

If you really want Gold Coast rather than Sunshine Coast (much nicer and far less like Ibiza) then check with Peppers re their policy for schoolies. Many properties won't hire to schoolies but I have also heard that some who say they don't end up with schoolies there anyway. Check the reviews from last November.

Cheers.

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
697 posts
55 reviews
3. Re: Great ocean road & schoolies Gold Coast nov 2018

Go with the flow in Victoria. Gold Coast for schoolies week most of the partying is in Surfers Paradise. Try booking Broadbeach down to Coolangatta. Should be a lot quieter.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
310 reviews
4. Re: Great ocean road & schoolies Gold Coast nov 2018

I'd have to agree with post #1, I'd stay well away from Gold Coast during schoolies if you possibly can, and opt for somewhere else like Sunshine Coast.

That said, if you do have your heart set on GC, then yes as stated in post #3, I'd stay in Broadbeach or Coolangatta over Surfers. Whilst Peppers might not take schoolies, the whole area is going to be flooded with teenagers, many of who will be noisy at unfortunately at times drunk. So yup, if you can avoid the area, I would.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Great ocean road & schoolies Gold Coast nov 2018

Thanks guys !! We will look at Noosa area

Any recommendations for hotels?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
12,138 posts
54 reviews
6. Re: Great ocean road & schoolies Gold Coast nov 2018

Sheraton is a great location, or anything with water views at Hastings St or Little Cove. If tgat is above budget, we stay at Munna Beach Apartments at Noosavillle and love it there (we always go for east facing with river views)

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
286 posts
310 reviews
7. Re: Great ocean road & schoolies Gold Coast nov 2018

Seahaven, Sheraton & Sebel are all great, but none of them cheap.

Have a look on TA as there's a lot of choice in a range of budgets.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
8. Re: Great ocean road & schoolies Gold Coast nov 2018

Thanks for your advice seahaven looks amazing just the kind of place we were looking for.

Thank you so much for your help

Roll on November!!! X

Reply to: Great ocean road & schoolies Gold Coast nov 2018
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted