We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Albury without a car

New Zealand
Level Contributor
104 posts
29 reviews
Albury without a car

Hi, I'm currently working on the logistics of getting from NZ to Bonegilla (the old migrant camp). Got as far as Melbourne then the train to Albury and stay a couple of nights. I'm aware there's no form of public transport to Bonegilla and am factoring in the taxi fare to the budget, no alternative there.

I've been reading up a bit on Albury and am keen to have a look around while I'm there, given I'll never be going back that way. I see there's a limited local bus service, but looking at maps there seems to be a few interesting things within walkable distance of the train station? (Will stay in nearby motel). I'm looking at MAMA, the Murray, Botanic gardens and Monument Hill. Is the walk up the latter as steep as it looks? I also just like looking at and photographing old buildings in towns, so can they be found in that general area? I'd be happy with that :)

Resigned to the fact I'm not going to be able to get to some sights due to the transport limitations, but with limited time is sticking to the above general area a nice experience of Albury?

17 replies to this topic
New Zealand
Level Contributor
104 posts
29 reviews
11. Re: Albury without a car

I'd probably say the same thing about my former hometown.

But like I said in my OP, I'm not choosing Albury as a tourist destination- it's a town I'm going to have to stay in for a couple of nights in order to get to Bonegilla.

Anyway, my trips now being finalised and looking at the train schedule from Melbourne I'm not going to have as much daylight time in Albury as I originally thought. But I still think it's always interesting to have a wander around a new place, even if you've only got a few hours, and especially in another country.

It's a bit funny how from a logistics point of view that getting to the back blocks of Australia (including Bonegilla) carless, from my city in NZ is proving to be way more work than getting to a small town in the back blocks of Eastern Europe, long haul flights included. But to be fair no worse than trying to get to a lot of major tourist destinations in NZ without a car.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
21,277 posts
113 reviews
12. Re: Albury without a car

Had I spotted this thread earlier I would have recommended to stay in Wodonga rather than Albury (my home town) for logistical purposes, as I think you would need to travel from Albury to Wodonga anyway to link with bus's travelling to the Bonegilla area. I assume you have seen this website?

bonegilla.org.au/visit-us/how-to-get-here.asp

Albury, Australia
1 post
13. Re: Albury without a car

Hi there, you are correct in your determination that getting to Bonegilla is not possible by public transport. You may like to contact Chelbec Tours (http://www.chelbec.com.au/) who conduct reasonably priced tours with no minimum numbers required. If you are to skip Bonegilla, the Albury Library Museum has a small exhibition on Bonegilla based on suitcases and what people brought with them. Reaching the top of Monument Hill isn't for the faint hearted. The last couple of hundred metres are pretty steep. If you like old buildings, I would also suggest the Albury CBD Historic Walking Tour. It takes in 21 of Albury's historic buildings and explains what they were originally and what they are used for now. Enjoy your time in Australia.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
104 posts
29 reviews
14. Re: Albury without a car

Hi JS, thanks for your comment. Bonegilla is my primary reason for this visit, the last stop on following my family's escape from Eastern Europe during the war. I've already made it to some other significant places in Europe and Bonigilla is the final stop, and very important for me to go to. So a pilgrimage of sorts. No no way will I not be going! very frustrating needing a taxi to get out there but them's the breaks. I've got a quote and that's just going to be part of my budget.

Your CBD historic buildings do sound interesting though. I'm a sucker for older buildings and different architecture and love photographing them so that sound like something I can do by just going on a casual stroll? (Thanks for the head-up on monument hill!) Even just wandering down the to Murray River, that's walkable?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
104 posts
29 reviews
15. Re: Albury without a car

Hi frommy @12 thanks for getting in touch. I'll have a look into your suggestion of basing in Wondonga. I vaguely recalled checking it out a while ago but finding Albury easier with the Train and access to accommodation, but I could be wrong,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,617 posts
204 reviews
16. Re: Albury without a car

No stay in Albury.

As a frequent visitor to the area and having stayed in both places Albury has more on offer in the town itself so better range of accommodation and food choices.

Public transport in general I also betten

Cebu City...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
53 reviews
17. Re: Albury without a car

I have lived in Lavington and Wodonga and worked in Lavington, Albury and Wodonga. My preference too would be to stay in Albury.

If you are staying at a motel close to the train station, you will be within easy walk of cinemas, shopping and dining. My personal suggestion for the best value dining is the Commercial Club in Albury.

https:/…Dining

Reply to: Albury without a car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Albury