We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Milford Sound Glass Top Coach

Mumbai
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Milford Sound Glass Top Coach

We plan to make a day trip to Milford Sound from Queenstown. Can somebody please tell me which operators run glass top coaches? I tried going through the websites of various operators, but they don't seem to explicitly say what kind of buses they run. And since the opinions vary on these forums, am unsure of which one to book.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Milford Sound Glass Top Coach

Almost all the operators from Queenstown use luxury glass roof coaches and there is a good reason for that. The number of stops they make along the Milford road is also an important factor.

Coach cruise fly from Queenstown is the total experience for Milford Sound and I can highly recommend it. Tremendous competition between operators have driven prices down and it is now regarded as one the best value activity or attraction in the southern lakes region or possibly New Zealand . Where else is it possible to get a 600 kilometer coach journey as well as a hour and a half boat cruise through the wildest natural landscapes for under $150 nz

If if you wish to fly don't book your return flight to Queenstown until you get to Milford Sound.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
25 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Milford Sound Glass Top Coach

Thank you. Between BBQ bus, Real Journeys and Great Sights (all of whom have got good reviews here), would recommend any over the others?

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Milford Sound Glass Top Coach

SouthIslandBill - this is the 2nd post I've seen where you mention really cheap prices for coach-cruise-fly to Milford Sound from Queenstown.

Where can I find prices like that? I haven't found any coach-cruise-fly option for much less than $600 .....

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Milford Sound Glass Top Coach

Kumsub

BBQ bus does not have a glass roof coach but they will do more stops along the Milford road and that is a huge plus. Real Journeys and Great Sights all give a good tour but unfortunately they make fewer stops (due to their timetable) along the Milford road hence I would choose BBQ bus out of the three.

South Island
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Milford Sound Glass Top Coach

debi

I apologize for not responding to you on a previous forum regarding coach cruise fly Queenstown/Milford Sound. As a part time consultant for various overseas travel agencies my job often takes me to Fiordland and Milford Sound. During my many trips to Milford Sound I discovered a very cheap option for coach cruise fly for the day trip out of Queenstown.

The secret is not to book your flight back to Queenstown until you get to Milford Sound. As there is no refund on the unused return coach seat to Queenstown I use Naked Bus/ Milford Sound Select because of their cheap prices, large luxury coach and as I am into photography I enjoy the extra stops they make along the Milford road.

When you get to Milford Sound ask your coach driver to tell you of all the flight options ie. Helicopter or small fixed wing plane. Sometimes there are standby seats in the fixed wing planes that are sold at half price and I have used this option many times. This has allowed me to do the coach cruise fly option from Queenstown for less than $350. As far as I know Milford Sound Select/Naked Bus are the only ones who do this and I would imagine that these standby seats would not be available every day but they are tremendous value . If the weather stops the small fixed wing planes from operating consider taking the Heli flight back to Queenstown. As far as I am aware the Heli flight does not offer cheap standby seats.

Enjoy Milford Sound and I assure the coach cruise fly option is the best way to see it.

6. Re: Milford Sound Glass Top Coach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2013, 14:51