We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter driving from Queenstown

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
22 posts
124 reviews
Save Topic
Winter driving from Queenstown

Hello. We are planning to visit Milford Sound from Queenstown. We are 2 people so renting a car will definitely be cheaper for us (than taking a coach-cruise-coach package) and will provide us with extra flexibility of stopping en route for photographs and taking in the sights.. We are planning to visit in August last week (around 25th) so I am a bit uncomfortable with the potential icy/snowy road conditions. Any suggestions on a good way forward? For me road safety is the priority as I've never driven in winter conditions before. Thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,735 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
3 replies to this topic
Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
4,277 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter driving from Queenstown

If road safety is your priority, then please DO NOT self drive.

As is repeated over and over on this forum - Queenstown to Milford Sound return is a 13 hour round trip. Coach drivers are professional, know the roads, and have a couple of hours rest while you're on the boat cruise.

If you're not used to icy roads, then is best to avoid driving on them (safer for everyone). End of Aug is coming into avalanche season. And there are still likely to be snowfalls. The coach companies are all watching the weather and conditions, and if there are snow/ avalanche/ road closure risks they'll cancel - or if you get stuck, they'll organise accommodation or alternative transport.

The cost for keeping yourself and other road users safe by taking the bus is well worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Queenstown
Queenstown
Otago Region, New Zealand
Milford Sound
Milford Sound
4,735 Reviews
Te Anau, New Zealand
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
8,799 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter driving from Queenstown

Firstly in winter i suggest the only option to do a day trip to milford sound in winter is by coach. Without winter driving experience you are risking yourself and others to do the trip. The road from homer tunnel is extremely steep. The coach trip is relaxing, big glass windows and you can enjoy the scenery. on the way back you can relax and sleep.

Doha, Qatar
Level Contributor
22 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter driving from Queenstown

Thank you all. And special thanks to nzp0ppy for the forum entry (https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g25512…) which I saw after I posted the question. Definitely will book a coach + cruise option now.

Reply to: Winter driving from Queenstown
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Milford Sound