We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Penguin sightings

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
488 posts
269 reviews
Save Topic
Penguin sightings

We will be in the Dunedin/Oamaru area towards the end of March. I have been reading past posts re best sightings (Penquin Place and Oamaru).

Is March a good time to see them and which would be preferable for either day or evening viewing?

Thanking you in advance.

Chris

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,363 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Penguin sightings

Hello Chris

Penguins don't migrate anywhere so they always remain in the same area, year round.

And they are mainly out at sea feeding through the day so dusk is the best time to see them when they return home to their nest. Usually an hour before sunset and into dark you will see them.

I haven't been to the Oamaru or Otago Peninsula viewing sites so can't comment on them. It can get cold sitting and waiting so dress warmly! They are magical wee beings, enjoy :)

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,462 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Penguin sightings

Viewing times and numbers of penguins vary with the season. Here's a graph that might help as it shows the arrivals at the Blue Penguin Colony in Oamaru. We went once years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it - saw lots. Yep, it was COLD.

http://www.penguins.co.nz/?arrival

Edited: 07 February 2012, 11:22
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,622 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Penguin sightings

In Oamaru you will sit in a purpose built grandstand with possibly hundreds (coachloads) of other and will have a guide announce the arrival of the little blue penguins. (You can also go to Bushy Beach and watch yellow-eyed penguins from a hide with very few other people - this is free).

In Otago you can also go with Elm Tours in a small group and watch the yellow-eyed penguins come ashore from a hide. There is quite a bit of walking involved with this tour but I highly recommend it. I did it in January.

America
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Penguin sightings

I watched dozens of penguins last night at Moeraki's Katiki Pt. Dunno if as many are there in March, but it's an off-the-beaten-track spot Not To Miss!! You don't have to view these penguins from a "hide", as they just walk around the hillside and walking tracks with you--quite amazing!!

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
488 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Penguin sightings

Thank you all for your quick responses!! Trip Advisor never disappoints!!!

We are not really into "formal type" group tours, so the info given was very helpful.

I checked out where Moeraki is situated - about 80 klm north of Dunedin (we will be heading just north of Dunedin, so that is perfect).

Thank you again.

Chris

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Penguin sightings

I've a stupid question... why are there less penguin returning in some months? why did the rest go?...

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,622 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Penguin sightings

They can stay out at sea for days or weeks. Some species only come ashore to nest, raise chicks and moult.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Penguin sightings

i see: ) Thanks!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Penguin sightings

Are there any options out there to view penguins that don't require a tour? We are on a tight budget, and would like to see the penguins! We'll be driving from Queenstown to Duendin, then down to Bluff/Invercargill.

Thanks!

California
Level Contributor
7,660 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Penguin sightings

If you are planning to drive through the Catlins enroute from Dunedin to Bluff, you might consider stopping at Curio Bay. It's a penguin nesting ground and accessible without a tour.