We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch earthquake information for tourists

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Christchurch earthquake information for tourists

There have been a few posts from people worried about the impact of the Canterbury earthquake on tourism services, including accommodation.

Daily updates on tourism services are now available at : newzealand.com/travel/about-nz/features/eart… Canterbury Tourism have also established a hotline - if you are within NZ you can call 0800 423 783, or +64 3 379 9629 or +64 3 353 5990 if you are not.

The official government website is: http://www.canterburyearthquake.govt.nz/

1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch earthquake information for tourists

Hi. My partner and I will be traveling to Christchurch on june 06th 2011. Our accommodation is at 50 cathedral square Novotel. I was was wonndering if this has been effected by the earhquake. thankyou

Edited: 22 February 2011, 09:51
Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch earthquake information for tourists

Tanz-nanz, people are focused on survival at the moment. You have heaps of time before you visit Christchurch, so keep rechecking the website. I'm sure it's absolute chaos in Christchurch at the moment - they don't even know how many people have died.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,319 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christchurch earthquake information for tourists

This link seems to be the one that gets updated: tourismnewzealand.com/news-and-features/…

All I can say is keep checking the website and be patient. Christchurch is having telecommunication problems at the moment, and hotels may take time to report.

hampshire uk
Level Contributor
196 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christchurch earthquake information for tourists

Hi, we are due out in Christchurch in early April. I exchanged some lovely emails with Tina And Mary in the CIty Centre Motel on Columbo Street. I hope they are Ok. My heart truly goes out to all the people in CC

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,293 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christchurch earthquake information for tourists

The situation this morning (Wednesday)

West Coast: 300 pax off the TranzAlpine stranded in Greymouth

Mt Cook/Mackenzie: Locals asked to help out with accommodation for stranded travellers

Nelson/Marlborough: TranzScenic services from Picton to Christchurch have been cancelled and the train did not leave Picton. Intercity coach services cancelled until further notice out of Christchurch. Murchison accommodation filling up as visitor flows are halted from travel.

Queenstown: Queenstown Airport fully operational. People need to check with their airlines and QT Airport’s website before flying.

Ventura, California
Level Contributor
5 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christchurch earthquake information for tourists

Thanks for posting these links.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
6,835 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Christchurch earthquake information for tourists

The situation here is extra grim. The devastation is mostly in the central city district with places like the Cashel Mall absolutely hammered. At this stage traffic is gridlocked and the population is numb.

I don't usually agree with the PM, but his statement that this may be our darkest hour is accurate.

In comparison, Septembers event was a picnic.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
6,835 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Christchurch earthquake information for tourists

This web site may be useful:

www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm…

As much as I want to see this ciy's ecconomy recover I think that it's not a place for tourists for the next week or so. The quake yesterday was quite different to the September event. While the force was lower, it was closer to town and a lot shallower. For those facinated by the technical stuff, ground acceleration was twice what it was in September.

I had several friends in the Grand Chancellor post 4 sept who experienced aftershocks. They said it was ok. This Herald article suggests it is now ready to collapse. If you have bookings anywhere, you should check before you come. Make no assumptions.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Christchurch earthquake information for tourists

Hi All

Please do not come to Christchurch at present or even for the next several weeks. The city can not cope with it - we love visitors normally - more the better - but not at present. I have spent day in CBD working - it is not good.

regards

a very CHCH Kiwi

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,830 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Christchurch earthquake information for tourists

The Christchurch airport is fully operational. accomodation in Chch is stretched so try to find accomodation away from christchurch, using the airport as the gateway in.

The tranz Alpine train is still not running but many coaches pick up from the airport or the antartic center so consider these options.

the 'lock down' area is everything inside the four avenues so some of the accomodation places out side these areas may be operational but pleas check with them

public transport in Christchurch is still not operating but will be reviewed on friday

Get answers to your questions about Christchurch