We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Too late for 4 wk trip starting mid-Feb 2018?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Too late for 4 wk trip starting mid-Feb 2018?

Greetings! And help, please? My sister and I, both healthy and in our 60's, find ourselves with the once in a lifetime chance to spend about a month in New Zealand between Jan. 1 and March 25, 2018. We are very excited and immediately thought of renting a small camper and just touring. Our goal, to see and enjoy as much of the beautiful scenery as we could! On checking into this, the initial costs were higher than I expected and I understand that between other rental fees, cost of gas, cost to ferry the camper, cost to camp at least some of the nights, etc, it seems it may be beyond our budget.

I would appreciate help with the following questions:

~If we quickly rough out an itinerary, should we still be able to find low to mid priced lodgings in Feb/March? I would hope to stay in any given area at least 2-3 nights to give us plenty of time to see the sights and savor the relaxation!

~Suggestions for reliable auto rental dealers

~Given our goal of relaxed touring, any thoughts on auto travel versus a small camper unit? Looks as if the base price is running about $400 NZ a day for the unit I found online thru Maui.

~Might we be able to find lodgings more economically than the camper would be? Any suggestions would again be greatly appreciated. We are less fussy about what type of place we sleep then we are about being in wonderful places when we awaken.

~Last, for now, we have not purchased our airfare yet. Any suggestions as to where to fly into, and whether to leave from a different airport, or make it a round trip?

I am an avid birder, my sister is not, so suggestions on places to stay that might also give me some fun birds to watch would also be appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your time and thoughts, suggestions and/or warnings. Peace ~Linda

Hassle Free Tours
Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Free Christchurch Walking Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Botanic Gardens Tour
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Sightseeing Tours
Can NZ
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
12 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
8,774 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Too late for 4 wk trip starting mid-Feb 2018?

Regarding resonse #7, Franz Joseph and Tekapo are no where near each other. Tekapo would be a on the "other side" near Mt Cook, on the way to Christchurch.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Too late for 4 wk trip starting mid-Feb 2018?

Thanks!

Reply to: Too late for 4 wk trip starting mid-Feb 2018?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted