We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental at airport terminal or shuttle bus

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
193 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
car rental at airport terminal or shuttle bus

Dear All,

We will be having an 18 hour trip, finallly landing in Christchurch around 5pm. We plan to spend the night at a hotel near to the airport, which offers a free shuttle back to the airport the next morning. We will then rent a car. My question is that a lot of the cheaper car rentals seem to say they offer a shuttle bus to their rental location, so would I be then taking a shuttle from hotel to airport and then another shuttle to somewhere else and how much hassle would this be with all oru luggage? Would it worth paying more and just renting from a company that has a location right at the international terminal?

1 reply
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,190 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental at airport terminal or shuttle bus

It is a very minor hiccup IMO. Most of the 2nd tier real car companies have a depot within 5-10 minutes drive of CHC. Your hotel shuttle might be persuaded to take you there instead (esp if by "hotel" you actually mean one of the smaller motels on Roydvale Ave with Airport in their name - Birches, Gateway, etc), or you could just get a taxi there. Alternatively you could leave your luggage in the airport hotel, pop out & get the car & return to the hotel to pick up the luggage!!

Personally I would also consider staying in town, for a greater choice of places to go in the evening and then go to the city centre rental car centre.

Reply to: car rental at airport terminal or shuttle bus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted