We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Stops Between Lake Tekapo and Christchurch

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended Stops Between Lake Tekapo and Christchurch

Hi! My family and I will be doing a road trip from Lake Tekapo to Christchurch end of September 2017. Could you please advise what are the recommended stops between the two?

We would have had 2 nights stay at Lake Tekapo prior to the trip with 4 nights stay in Christchurch upon arrival in the city, so this post is really just to know what are the stops in between the two places. We plan to leave Lake Tekapo by 10am and arrive in Christchurch latest by 6pm. I can think of a few stops along the way:

- The Gem Alpaca at Fairlie

- Geraldine Town for sightseeing

We are 3 adults with 1 senior interested in scenery and food/cuisine. Thanks in advance!

7 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,170 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Stops Between Lake Tekapo and Christchurch

Lunch at Fairlie - I recommend the Fairlie Bakery if you haven't tried NZ pies before. Menu changes daily but their venison pies and roast pork & apple pies are wonderful.

In Geraldine, don't miss the Barkers Jam shop right on the corner of the main street. They have free samples of many delicious jams, preserves, chutneys etc and are a local icon.

After Geraldine take the Inland Scenic Route via Rakaia Gorge, not SH1 through the town of Rakaia. Not a lot to stop for but generally nice scenery. There should be plenty of lambs around & maybe even baby deer. (Do be careful when stopping suddenly for photos! Too often when driving the scenic highways we come across tourists who just STOP, without even pulling off the road!!)

There is a very cute cafe in a wee "dot on the map" called Staveley, only about 45-50 minutes north of Geraldine. if you are not coffeed out it is worth a stop for its quaint decor, like "great-grandma's parlour" and fine bone china!!

http://www.staveleystore.co.nz

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Stops Between Lake Tekapo and Christchurch

Fantastic! Thanks for the recommendations, right up our alley.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,170 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Stops Between Lake Tekapo and Christchurch

Oops sorry about the pie recommendations - I didn't pay attention to avatar/name.

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
18 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Stops Between Lake Tekapo and Christchurch

That's very kind of you! It's ok really. Glad to know most of the beef and lamb are slaughtered Halal for export so I'm sure I'll get a chance to taste some of those pies too..they were my fondest memories when I visited NZ for the first time as a kid back in the early 90s. Looking forward to this trip!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended Stops Between Lake Tekapo and Christchurch

Bit of a detour off the main road, but totally worth the views is Mt Sunday (where they filmed Edoras in LOTR) Incredible scenery. Dirt road for last 30kms but you want to go slow anyway to see the mountains all around you.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended Stops Between Lake Tekapo and Christchurch

Ice-cream from last dairy in Geraldine - "On the go"

Massive & Cheap!

This is a tradition when we travel down!

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
193 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended Stops Between Lake Tekapo and Christchurch

We are just visitors, so not sure if the information is correct, but according to my research, there might be a nice garden "Trott's Garden" in Ashburton, which we are are planning to visit on the way to Tekapo.

Reply to: Recommended Stops Between Lake Tekapo and Christchurch
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted