We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Rotorua without Moari show

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Rotorua without Moari show

I have been through both the Tauranga and Rotorua forums and attractions, I have also googled, but can't find anything.

We are arriving on Sea Princess early February and would like to see the geysers and mud thermals at Rotoura, also the redwoods, however we are not interested in seeing the Maori show.

Does anyone know of a tour operator we could contact? We are not keen on using a hire car, even though we have driven in many places in Asia and USA. I sort of promised husband he could sightsee this trip rather than chaffeur me :)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
4,342 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Rotorua without Moari show

I'm guessing you've found some tours that include the Maori dinner shows? Perhaps you could contact the tour companies and ask whether they are able to tailor - or I'm sure you would be able to skip that part of the tour - go have your own dinner and meet back at a prearranged point at a set time?

Otherwise, self-drive may be your best option.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Rotorua without Moari show

QWhat tours are you looking at?if its geiserland or similar then you can just wander around yourself and avoid that part of the tour.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Rotorua without Moari show

Thank you both,

No not the dinner show as we are only in port from 8am to 6 pm.

Yes we could miss the show and wander round but the admission price of around $120 is included in the tour price.

I will try contacting a couple of the tours and ask, hopefully they will reply.

I have contacted a tour company in Dunedin twice with no reply, which is why I finally asked my question about Rotorua in here :)

Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Rotorua without Moari show

there are usually private tours available on your arrival in port but sometimes the safest tours are those organised by your ship. If anything causes a late return, your ship will wait for those on cruise organised tours but apparently will not wait for private tours.

Perhaps if you contact the Tauranga or Mount Maunganui I sites, they will provide more information about tours to Rotorua from the port otherwise look at www.rotoruaNZ.com but do make sure you spell Rotorua correctly as if you spell it as Rotoura ( as in your first post), you may not get the information you want.

Wishing you an enjoyable visit to Rotorua.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
4,342 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Rotorua without Moari show

The tour you've been looking at that has an admission price of $120 - may I ask what that covers and includes? I would think that price is about right to cover transport to and from Rotorua and entry to a geothermal park.

I did a quick google for 'tour from tauranga to rotorua' and looked at the first company - they have three tours, one which goes to Wai-O-Tapu - which I think would be perfect for your wants (mud pools, geothermal and no maori show) for $150 - which I think is quite reasonable www.scott-tours.co.nz/tours/wai-o-tapu/

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Rotorua without Moari show

Thank you both again.

The $120 was the admission for 2 to the village and culture show part of the tour.

I think I will have to rethink, I agree the Scotts tour covers what we are looking for, unfortunately I have problems walking long distances over a long period, so I know I won't be able to manage 30 to 75 minutes walking trails, this of course puts limits on whatever we do on our shore days. I have worked out tours for our other ports.

I think if we want to see Rotorua it will have to be self drive.

Thank you for your help

Level Contributor
70 posts
352 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Rotorua without Moari show

polynesian spa was a highlight of rotuorua for us, it is not very dear and takes as long as you want it too

8. Re: Day trip to Rotorua without Moari show

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2016, 00:48