We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day to explore

California
Level Contributor
93 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
One day to explore

I have read all the posts and looked at the websites recommended. Our cruise ship stops in Tauranga and it seems that many of the suggestions are to go from Tauranga to Rotorua for the day. We will be spending 6 days post cruise exploring North Island and planned on spending 2 days in Rotorua. The question is, should we explore Rotorua on our port day in Tauranga and cut the 2 days in Rotorua to 1 day? Or should we spend the day actually exploring Tauranga and Mount Maunganui?

Mentioned in this post
Tauranga
Tauranga
Bay of Plenty Region, New Zealand
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
Mount Maunganui
Mount Maunganui
Tauranga, New Zealand
New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day to explore

Leave your Rotorua as is and spend the day at the Mount &/or exploring the local Tauranga area- there's plenty to do & see.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Tauranga
Tauranga
California
Level Contributor
93 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day to explore

Thanks, that was what I was thinking too.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
4,214 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: One day to explore

Yep, leave Rotorua for when you have the longer period.

Plenty to see/do round Tauranga. Get a rental car for the day. ..

Walk up 'The Mount' (mt. Maunganui); head along the coast to Te Puna and Kiwi360 - a kiwifruit experience. Then continue to Comvita - experience about bees, honey and related products.

You can continue on along the coast to Maketu (fish & chips and icecream); or further through to Whakatane. If you just go directly to Whakatane, you could do a day trip out to White Island....

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Tauranga
Tauranga
Mt Maunganui Main Beach
Mt Maunganui Main Beach
1,418 Reviews
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
Tauranga
Level Contributor
334 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: One day to explore

Pineapplesensei means head east to Te Puke for Kiwi 360 and Convita. If you head west to Te Puna, be sure to visit Te Puna Quarry Park. This is a disused quarry being developed into a world class park. Go further up the highway to Omokoroa, a lovely seaside village on Tauranga Harbour, and take a walk around the headland. Further north is Katikati, famous for buildings adorned with painted murals and the Haiku Pathway—world's largest collection of English 'poem boulders'

Mentioned in this post
Tauranga
Tauranga
Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
4,214 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: One day to explore

Oh yes, thanks for the correction cssr... the troubles of posting when no quite awake!!! :-)

I, myself, look forward to another great xmas at Papamoa - will I manage a hike up The Mount on xmas morning?!

heading east/north as cssr has suggested, you could go as far as Karangahake Gorge and Paeroa as well. Paeroa is a lovely country town, filled with many antique shops, and home to yummy L&P - an NZ soft drink. Karanagahake Gorge has great walking trails, riverside through native bush, and parts on an old railway.

Back towards Katikati is another township - Wahi - famous as a gold mining town. Up behind the town you can walk up to the rim of one of the open cast mines (still being mined I think?); and nearby there is also a lovely park where the quarries have been filled with water.

oh... plenty to do around Tauranga... lovely place ...

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel, Food and Travel, Macau
Level Contributor
28,458 posts
6,372 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: One day to explore

I'd also suggest just visiting what Tauranga has to offer. Here are a few suggestions.

Maunganui Beach

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Mount Maunganui Summit Trek

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Great Fish & Chips at Bobby's Fresh Fish Market

tripadvisor.com/…REVIEWS

Enjoy your cruise and time on North Island.

Mentioned in this post
Tauranga
Tauranga
Mt Maunganui Main Beach
Mt Maunganui Main Beach
1,418 Reviews
Mount Maunganui, New Zealand
Mount Maunganui
Mount Maunganui
Tauranga, New Zealand
Bobby's Fresh Fish Market
Bobby's Fresh Fish Market
850 Reviews
Tauranga, New Zealand
North Island
North Island
New Zealand
7. Re: One day to explore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2017, 17:48