We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 or 8 Nights

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
7 or 8 Nights

The more I read about Rotorua, the more I want to see!

2 nights Auckland

Pick up rental car and visit Hobbiton and Wairere Falls

3 nights Rotorua -- How can we not spend 2 full days here with all the great choices?

Now the decision making. We are a family of 3 with an 18 year old daughter traveling in June. This will be her graduation present, and we love LOTR. The final important destination is Wellington to see WETA Workshop and to see LOTR filming locations. How to get there? We will need 2 nights there.

First option is to drop off the car in Rotorua and fly to Wellington. But then a reliable Rotorua poster said that the airport can often be closed by cloud cover year round. That would be a real bummer for our plans in Wellington but would save a long day of driving. What is the probability of this happening in June?

The next option is to drive straight to Wellington in one day.

The final option is to add 1 night, drive from Rotorua, enjoy Huka Falls and Taupo, and spend the night in or around Tongariro NP and enjoy the mountain walks and views. Next day drive on to Wellington. My concern is whether we could experience enough snow around TNP to disrupt this plan. Where would be a logical place to stop for the night?

I could really use some advice and look forward to hearing from those who know. Thanks!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,855 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 7 or 8 Nights

I don't have any facts or figures but having driven the Desert Rd (SH 1 between Taupo & Wellington) on many occassions, I think you would be unlucky to find it closed in June. That is what travel insurance is for. If you have the time, the drive is interesting, esp through the volcanic plateau. I would strongly recommend your final option of a night near Tongariro NP - perhaps in the town of National Park, or if budget allows, the Chateau Tongariro itself.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
15,181 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 or 8 Nights

Another option is to spend one night only in Auckland and fly to Wellington the following day. this plan will still have you driving north to Tongariro NP and on to Rotorua etc. But I'd start off in Wellington first, heading into winter then work your way north to (hopefully warmer) climes and a thermal soak in Rotorua.

If by saving a night from Auckland you prefer to stay longer in other centres before continuing to Hobbiton, this may work out better according to your interests.

The Chateau hotel sits in a great location in the national park. Specials are posted on www.wotif.co.nz for this hotel among other nearby accommodation.

Ohio
Level Contributor
849 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 or 8 Nights

Both of these are good strategies. And you have both convinced me that the drive through the North Island is well worth it. Sounds like the Chateau is a perfect stopping off point, and I will check into it. Thanks so much!

4. Re: 7 or 8 Nights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2016, 09:46