We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rotorua area

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
rotorua area

My family wants to see several things while in the Rotorua area. We will be coming in from the north (through Matamata). We want to see Kakahi Falls, go on the skyline sky rides at Mt. Ngongotaha, see the geysers at Waiotapu, see Haku falls, craters of the Moon, and the glowworms at Waitomo caves. Possibly see Tongariro National Park. Then we will head back to Auckland.

I can't figure out the best order to see these things to avoid backtracking or avoiding bad roads. Any advice? Thank you so much.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,586 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rotorua area

How many days do you have? I could give you a 7 day itinerary, but perhaps you only have 4?

1. AKL (where in the "north"?) to Hobbiton; 1 hr to Rotorua (2N)

2. Hells Gate/ Kakahi Falls; Skyline luge

3. Drive to Wai-o-tapu; on to Taupo/Huka Falls/Craters of the Moon (I wouldn't bother with the latter)

4. Drive to TNP; short walks/chairlift etc

5. TNP to Waitomo Caves to AKL (about 4:30hr driving, so only time for a quick cave tour - stay the night if planning to do a longer tour eg Black Abyss)

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rotorua area

Thanks for your answer. We will be coming from Mt. Maunganui. Does it make sense to spend one or two nights in Rotorua? Could we see Matamata/ hell's gate and ride the skyline all in one day?

Then should we see Taupo the next day and drive on and stay at TNP?

I wish we had more time!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
33,586 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rotorua area

When you say "see Matamata", do you mean Hobbiton? You could "see" Matamata in 5 min, but it takes 2 hr to do the tour of Hobbiton, so there goes the morning. In the afternoon you could choose between the luge or Tikitere and do the other next morning before continuing on to Huka Falls & Taupo for the night and on to TNP on day 3. it would be a rush. Usually we recommend 2 N in Rotorua as there is so much to see.

Again, how many days do you have altogether - perhaps we can help streamline your itinerary.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,909 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rotorua area

Driving from Mt Maunganui, you have time to stop at Hobbiton in the morning, before continuing to Rotorua and on to Tikitere (Hell's Gate) and the Falls.

I suggest a night-time gondola ride to the buffet restaurant that evening, if you are only planning one night only in Rotorua. If you can stay 2 nights though, your activity plans will become less rushed while in Rotorua as there is much to see and do for a family visit.

The following day, visit Wai O Tapu first for the geyser display at 10:15am followed by their thermal walk. Next see Huka Falls and possibly Craters of the Moon if you can't get enough thermal parks.

Turangi may be a good overnight stop for your family, as there is reasonably priced accommodation in this town and it's a closer to stop overnight, after the day's activities between Rotorua and Taupo.

From National Park village on the outskirts of Tongariro NP, the road north does become windy though the King country/ region. Take your time to reach Waitomo Caves, although from Te Kuiti north on SH3 the road is much easier to navigate.

Would be really useful for our replies if we find out how many days in total your trip is for. We may be able to help with your earlier itinerary before you arrive Matamata?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rotorua area

We have eight days total. We will arrive in New Zealand on a Monday and leave on a Monday afternoon.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
13 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rotorua area

Do not bother with Te Puia unless you want spend $50-00 per person (that was the starting price and it got more expensive to see additional items). We decided not to go in to see the geyser.

It is sad that natural features like this are charged for, and a contrived feature is built up around it so that tourists can be gouged.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
33,586 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rotorua area

I'm sorry you feel this way, but Te Puia is on Maori land and it costs heaps to build and maintian the walkways and fences, without Government assistance. I find it shocking that in Australia you have to pay to enter "National Parks". Here the Government maintians conservation land freely so that everybody ( includiing tourists) can enter for free - but anywherei n the world if a private landowner develops an atraction, whether an Aquarium, gondola ride or theme park, an entry fee is required to pay the wages & maintenace.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
13 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rotorua area

The craters of the moon had beautiful walkways and facilities and only cost $8. The parks in Oz do cost but the fees are also nominal. I just feel the $100 for a couple (and we only wanted to see the geyser) is exorbitant.

9. Re: rotorua area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2016, 09:45