We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rotorua-Waiotapu-Hobitton on the same day?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
24 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Rotorua-Waiotapu-Hobitton on the same day?

hi

I will be in the north part of New Zeeland and will stay in Auckland (but I am flexible except of arrival day) and wish to see both

the Hobbiton and Wai-o-tapu. I wish to find a cheep way to get

to both destinations on the 17th artiving at Rotorua round 12o clock. Need to be back to Aucklands airport on the

18th at 4 o clock in the afternoon.

what are the options and what can the prices be?

i see that intercity from Auckland to Matamata is possible with arrival at

11 o clock. How do i get from Matamata to Hobbiton, are there any buses that

run?

And from Matamata to Rotorua can you manage to take a tour to Wai-o-tapu the

same day?

Thanks for your response

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,725 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rotorua-Waiotapu-Hobitton on the same day?

I don't quite understand whether you are looking for a 2 day AKL-Rotorua-AKL trip or whether you are arriving in Rotorua from somewhere else on the 17th? As far as I can see you would 2 full days to do both trips and the 2 tours - e.g.:

17th Coach tour AKL to Hobbiton to Rotorua

18th AM Wai-o-tapu; PM coach to AKL 12:10-4:55pm - too late for your flight!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
24 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rotorua-Waiotapu-Hobitton on the same day?

Hi, thanks for a quick response. I amlooking for a combined trip where I can do both in the same day.

My arrival to NZ is in Auckland at 8pm and I willbe staying there for the night.

The next day I hope to make a tour with Hobittonand Waiotapu included in the ssme tour. If not possible then I need to choose one of them which is the best in that case? I can be flexible and take a tour Akl-Hobitton-Rotorua of possible sleep over night at Rotorua, early morning catch a bus (if there are any) to Wiotapu and return to akl in order to catch my flight. My flight leaves 6:30pm I guess it is tight with 4:50 as arrival to domestic airport or?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
24 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rotorua-Waiotapu-Hobitton on the same day?

Sorry something else in order to be able to follow your recommendation with what bus company/train/tour agent can I do this?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,725 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rotorua-Waiotapu-Hobitton on the same day?

Great Sights should have a suitable tour but I can only see one that includes Waitomo Caves & Hobbiton out of AKL . The ideal tour for you seems to only operate in the reverse direction, arriving in AKL at 8pm!

Naked Bus have the 12:10 departure for AKL.

Is your 6:30 pm flight domestic or international? I agree that it is cutting it fine for an International flight.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
13,969 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rotorua-Waiotapu-Hobitton on the same day?

Looks like the Gret Sights tour ex Auckland to Rotorua, including Hobbiton would be the best fit. Contact Great Sights and enquire if you can embark in Rotorua, rather than return to Auckland same day.

Except you wont be able to reach Wai O Tapu the same day. If there is sufficient daylight hours, just do a walking tour of Rotorua including Kuirau Park.

Intercity buses from Rotorua to Auckland depart early morning if you are planning to fly out international on the afternoon of the 18th. Need to checkin 2 hours before an international flight. There are regular bus connections from Manukau interchange (bus terminus) for Auckland airport terminals.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
62 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rotorua-Waiotapu-Hobitton on the same day?

There is an 8.35 am flight to Rotorua from Auckland. If you book now it's $79 with air NZ. Lands 9.15am. The waiotapu site http://www.waiotapu.co.nz/links/ has links to various services that do shuttles and tours. It might be worth contacting the Geyser Link Shuttle (which normally leaves Rotorua at 9.00am for Waiotapu and then Hobbiton) to see if they would pick you up at 9.15 at the airport. This would leave you in Rotorua that night and you have all next morning and some of the afternoon to bus back to Auckland (if you don't want to fly).

The advantage of seeing Waiotapu in the morning is that you get to see the Lady Knox Geyser being soaped (10am).

7. Re: Rotorua-Waiotapu-Hobitton on the same day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 April 2016, 10:45