We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rotorua late november without a car

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
219 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Rotorua late november without a car

Hey All.

Would love some advise, we want to celebrate my boyfriends birthday in NZ. we dont have much time but thinking of doing a 5 night trip from Sydney

we are planning on flying into Auckland and getting the bus to Rotorua. we will stay in Rotorua for 3 days.

My question is, we don't drive. Is it easy to get to sites etc via public transport? are taxis reliable? We want to do redwoods which according to google it looks like a bus goes there but we really want to do hells gate as well and see some of the thermal pools etc

we do realise it will be alot easier to rent a car, however we are only on our learners in aus, so its not possible.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

2 replies to this topic
Palmerston North...
Level Contributor
769 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rotorua late november without a car

Have a look at baybus.co.nz and use the Rotorua tag.

Rotorua
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rotorua late november without a car

Hey. So there are green (city ride) buses that go pretty much everywhere around Rotorua. It is a couple of dollars per person per ride, maybe contact them to see if they had a capped rate for daily use.

Unfortunately the city ride buses font go into the Redwoods but they go past the entrance which is off Tarawera Road but you can walk up long mile road to get to the information centre (they also have a tree tops walk at the information centre which is worth checking out)

With Hells Gate I don't believe that the City rides go out that far (they stop at the Airport) but if you go and see the staff at the I Site in town and chat to them I am pretty sure there is a tour kind of thing that would take you to Hells Gate, but if you give them a list of what you are wanting to do them they may be able to sort out a day trip package thing for you =)

Taxis are quite pricey here but that's just what I believe, I can't compare them to what you have in Australia.

Hope this helps

Reply to: Rotorua late november without a car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted