We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice on Maori experience - Tamaki, Te Puia, Mitai, ??

Oregon
Level Contributor
386 posts
88 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice on Maori experience - Tamaki, Te Puia, Mitai, ??

My husband and I will be spending three nights in Rotorua at the end of February. We are flying in from Wellington on a Sunday afternoon, renting a car, staying at an airbnb property close to the lake, NW of Tamaki, and then leaving on a Wed. morning for the 10:00 Hobbiton tour. (also, how long should this drive take to Matamata?)

I've been reading about different Maori culture options, and would appreciate some input/advice on what's best. We are interested in seeing a village, having the traditional meal, and a show as well. -- all without being too "touristy". Is that possible?? We have been to luaus in Hawaii, and some of the reviews sound like the luaus there. We just spent a week in Iceland and enjoyed the geothermal wonders there. Also read about the bus transfer to Tamaki, but we have our own transportation, and are staying quite close to there.

Thanks for any info/advice!

2 replies to this topic
Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
3,597 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice on Maori experience - Tamaki, Te Puia, Mitai, ??

I went to the Hilton Village Starlight Luau in Waikiki a few years ago and found it to be very 'Disney' or 'Vegas show' - a little too much of a show - rather than people who were passionate about sharing their culture (if that makes sense) - in contrast - I find our experiences in the south pacific to be more authentic... or perhaps that's just because this is my backyard???!!!!

You can't really go wrong - I joined the daytime Te Puia show a while ago (so it should have changed!) and loved it - but in part because they performed familiar songs that I grew up with.

I also visited Tamaki Village a few years ago - this is great for the village you wander around and get to experience traditional activities. But I didn't find the concert to be all that great - though the hangi food was yum. The bus transfer is a good bit of fun - entertainment begins the second you board the bus - worth it, even if you have your own transport (and if you aren't driving it means you can drink more wine!)

I haven't 'done' Mitai yet, but it would be my choice on my next visit to Rotorua - I've heard good reviews, and with it's connection to Rainbow Springs you can also visit this attraction in combination.

Oregon
Level Contributor
386 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice on Maori experience - Tamaki, Te Puia, Mitai, ??

Thank you for your input. It will help me decide what to do. As for a luau in Waikiki, I'm sure that they are about as touristy as one could be in Hawaii. (The luaus I have been to were on other islands.)

Reply to: Need advice on Maori experience - Tamaki, Te Puia, Mitai, ??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted