We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to start your travels

Manchester, United...
5 posts
Save Topic
Best time to start your travels

We are travelling from the UK to Auckland and back.

Is there a better time to start your journey. We have a 3 year old and wondered if its better to start at night and hope they sleep the first 8 hours. I did ask a travel agent who said it made no difference as the journey was so long and with the change of time zones etc.

Any views out there?

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,495 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to start your travels

I prefer to fly in the morning as I hate hanging around all day waiting to go. Plus in my experience a flight late in the day can make the child fractious before you even lift off.

Best of luck :)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,463 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to start your travels

I have to agree with the travel agent, I've flown both morning & evening and both have been as tiring.

My suggestion would be to take note of arrival times. You'll struggle to stay awake for very many hours on arrival so whichever is going to get you into the right sleeping patterns the quickest would be my suggestion.

For example, I will be landing in N.Z about 3.30pm local time, I know I'll be in bed by 9pm latest and up at about 6am or earlier the next day, but that works for me. Coming back I'll arrive home at 11.30am and I know for a fact I won't stay awake until normal bed time, my jet lag will kick in by around 3pm, but I know this is going to happen so I'm planning for it :)

Helensburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,295 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to start your travels

Just a thought , but we travelled with Emirates and the return journey from Auckland to Dubai was a total of 20 hours. This included a stop-over at Brisbane, which lasted 3 hours and would definitely interrupt the sleep pattern for those who drop off after 3 or 4 hours in the air!

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Auckland
Level Contributor
242 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to start your travels

Have to agree with Nardine, this is the time-zone that works best for us too!

Stopovers sound great, but unless they are super short, or are whole days (enough for you to get into a bed for a night), they are really upsetting for your body clock. (We had to take a 6 hour early morning stop in Brisbane some years back...nothing was open and we were shatt-er-ed).

Your 3yo should be old enough to understand, so how about telling him/her that you are going on a big adventure and prepare a small bag of "special" toys etc that they are [only] allowed to see on the plane. Dish these out at spared intervals. Start making (on the plane) an "adventure" story-book, with stickers etc, to do at "quiet" times. ((Some people can get irate at crying/grizzly kids)).

Also be aware of ear-infections while traveling with youngsters. I even get these, and have found a natural saline spray (used religiously every 4,3, or 2 hour intervals) is the answer. You could even incorporate the administering of that, (should you do), into your "adventure story-book".

Have an awesome "adventure" :)

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
5. Re: Best time to start your travels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2013, 14:46