We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auckland as base for trip?

Louisiana
Level Contributor
67 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Auckland as base for trip?

Hi - our daughter will be spending next semester abroad at U of Auckland. We plan to visit her the first two weeks of November. I'm looking for suggestions on things to do, places to visit in a day or overnight. We will be renting a car. We don't want to stray too far from Auckland since we will be there to visit her when her schedule permits! We like scenery, beaches, hikes, shopping (me) and eating at small local places. I've checked out BOI, Waiheke, Waitakeri Ranges so far. Thanks for any help.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
Level Contributor
12,325 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auckland as base for trip?

Hi crl,

BOI, Waiheke Island, and Waitakere Ranges and west coast beaches are all stunning.

For overnight trips, also consider Waitomo Caves followed by either Rotorua or Taupo (overnight destinations). You could also drive to the Coromandel - west or east for an overnight trip. Two weeks won't be long enough!

Matakana area deserves a lookin. This area north-east of Auckland city can successfully be reached as day-trip.

I'm sure your daughter will enjoy her learning experiences at Auckland University.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auckland as base for trip?

Your daughter will have her ideas as to where you should go.

Day trips out of Auckland can be in all directions, the gannet colony at Muriwai Black sand beach, the wonderful Lion's rock at Piha, the Arataki Centre in the Waitakere Ranges and Rangitoto by ferry boat.

Devonport and North Shore with great shopping centres and beautiful beaches would also be on my list.

Overnight a visit to Matakohe Kauri Museum and Tane Mahuta, King of the forest on the west coast north of Auckland.

The list is endless.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
67 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auckland as base for trip?

Thanks for the great suggestions. I certainly will research these and try to narrow it down. It'll be hard to choose! Any suggestions on what to be sure to do in Auckland ? We are looking at apt/hotel near the university. Maybe Celestion Waldorf or Metropolis. Thoughts? Appreciate your help.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auckland as base for trip?

For an overview of Auckland have a look at:

http://www.aucklandnz.com

For shopping (not for me!) Newmarket would arguably be the best area in Auckland with more boutique type shops close by in Parnell. Dressmart in Onehunga may also be of interest.

Can certainly recommend the Waldorf Apartments.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
67 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auckland as base for trip?

Happy Mardi Gras! Thanks for the shopping tips - I'm sure my daughter will appreciate those, too! I've looked at the Auckland site and there are many things to do....just hoped for a few can't miss ideas from the experts!

Glad to know that the Waldorf apts are a good bet.

6. Re: Auckland as base for trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2013, 14:54