We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long a drive from Rotorua to Wellington

Ottawa
2 posts
Save Topic
How long a drive from Rotorua to Wellington

Hi,

I am planning on travelling around NZ in late August and early September in a campervan. I am getting conflicting information about driving times. What would the drive from Rotorua to Wellington take? Thanks.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,276 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long a drive from Rotorua to Wellington

The most direct route, Rot-Taupo on SH5 then onto SH1 straight down to Wellington is about 450km and in a campervan would take approx. 7 hours with a couple of resonably short pit stops.

Germany
Level Contributor
175 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How long a drive from Rotorua to Wellington

If you look at "aa map New Zealand" it will give you travelling times between places on both North and South Island. I found this site invaluable when planning our trip to New Zealand - and wrote all relavent times down in a notebook which we took with us.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
148 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long a drive from Rotorua to Wellington

I just did this drive a couple of weeks ago and it took 4.5 hours including 1 stop for coffee.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,276 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long a drive from Rotorua to Wellington

I'm sorry loose that's just about impossible, you must have been flying- 450km in 4.5hrs = 100kms all the way! how many speed tickets did you get?

Kristie is in a campervan which will be a lot slower and I also tend to give conservative times so they are not rushed. Most travel maps give 6.5 hours with a couple of stops.

Aoraki Mount Cook...
Level Contributor
786 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long a drive from Rotorua to Wellington

5 hours is possible (from personal experience), but 4.5 hours is stretching it just a bit... ...and I've always been a bit paranoid about being there on time for the ferry, if that's what you are going to Wellywood for....

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,276 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long a drive from Rotorua to Wellington

I know Nettie 5 hours is possible, we've done it in 5.5 from Tauranga (quite often too, with a daughter living in Wellie) but we know all the short cuts and it's normally early morning or late at night so the roads are not as busy. But there's no way I would recommend that to a TAer, I'd hate to be blamed, as you say, for them being late for the ferry!. Better to be safe than sorry!

Aoraki Mount Cook...
Level Contributor
786 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long a drive from Rotorua to Wellington

Sorry Zappers you got the wrong end of the stick (and so did everyone else probably) The emphasis was more the fact that 4.5 hours was not a viable time...

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,276 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How long a drive from Rotorua to Wellington

That's OK nettie, it wasn't a problem, I know what you wre trying to say it's just difficult getting it across in type sometimes. No worries, we're both on the same wavelength.

Ottawa
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: How long a drive from Rotorua to Wellington

Thanks for all the insights on travel time. Cheers K.

10. Re: How long a drive from Rotorua to Wellington

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 13:49