We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Mac computer in New Zealand

North Carolina
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Using Mac computer in New Zealand

My father and I are traveling for a month in NZ and I would like to communicate with our family in the US. What do I need to plug in my computer and not risk blowing it up. This is all a little frightening. Not worried about a hair dryer, just the computer and charging that and my camera.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,709 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Using Mac computer in New Zealand

Laptop computer power supplies and battery chargers use what is called "switch-mode" circuits that can operate off any voltage from 110 volts (US standard) to 240 volts (a bit more than NZ standard). All you need is a plug adaptor so that your US-standard plug can use an NZ-standard socket.

You may have difficulty getting that in the US, as Australia and NZ are the only countries that use this standard, but you should have no trouble getting one in NZ.

Iowa
Level Contributor
316 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Using Mac computer in New Zealand

The NZ adapters aren't that difficult to find in the US -- and they're inexpensive. I purchased some from Magellan's as well as a local luggage/travel shop.

Iowa
Level Contributor
316 posts
32 reviews
3. Re: Using Mac computer in New Zealand

The NZ adapters aren't that difficult to find in the US -- and they're inexpensive. I purchased some from Magellan's as well as a local luggage/travel shop.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
52 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Using Mac computer in New Zealand

I spent a month in New Zealand in 2008 and had my Mac with me which I used to back up pictures and access the internet. I didn't have any trouble and was pleased at how many hotels and bed and breakfasts had wireless internet. One thing I did before I left for our trip was to purchase a subscription for the "MobileMe Gallery". Whenever I was online I would upload the pictures that we had taken so our family could see them at home. It worked so well that I have renewed my membership and have posted pictures from two subsequent trips. Just buy a N.Z. plug and you are all set!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
5. Re: Using Mac computer in New Zealand

Thank you all so much. Was afraid I would plug this little NZ plug into the outlet and then plug in my computer and it would fry because of the difference in 220v and 110v. So looking forward to being there on the 5th.

6. Re: Using Mac computer in New Zealand

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2010, 09:49