We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Pickup

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
877 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Pickup

Hi All,

Would like to seek your advise on the pick up and drop off locations in Queenstown and Auckland.

I've seen that many car rental websites do the pick-up or drop-off at the airport, but I would prefer it to be in hotel location instead.

Does the local car rental culture practice this? Or it is only at airport?

Would appreciate any recommendations... I would prefer a 4 wheel drive car.

Thanks!

Suying

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
410 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Pickup

All the rental car places have depots in the central city in both Qtown and Auckland.

The international franchise ones will deliver to your hotel free of charge (ie Avis/Hertz etc.) - the cheaper ones will probably ask you to collect from their depots - the majority of them are in the Beach Road/Strand area in Auckland which is between downtown and Parnell.

There is always a charge to pick up/drop off at airport and only the big ones have offices in the Airport Terminals themselves - the rest have facilities just on the edge of the airports and make special arrangements with you.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Pickup

Suying: Choose your rental car comapny and find out if they have door to door pick up and delivery. You will by now have chosen what company you want to deal with. If the company you want to use doesnt do door to door and that is what you want then choose another.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
877 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Pickup

Hi padso and Bean,

thanks for the help.

Actually i have no preference which car company... as long as they have a decent 4wheel drive car, and that i can have easy pick-up and drop-off locations.

The problem is their website simply assumes taht you pick up at the airport. And i would have to email them to find out.

I see that the Jucy car rental is cheap, but i can't find any their location in downtown on their website.

Cheers,

Suying

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,073 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Pickup

Suying I had a look on the Jucy website and clicked on locations and Auckland City and Whammo up popped their Auckland ity Location. It would appear that Queenstown has their office out at the airport which is realistic considering probably about 95% of people wanting a rental car in Queenstown would be tourists flying in

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Pickup

Check with the rental car company very carefully.

Apex have a complimentary shuttle pick up and drop off at the Airport, Go rentals is free to collect your car but $35.00 to drop it off at the Airport. Apex have a city branch. Ask them about there pick up arrangements. Also a company in the City called U Save will collect you from your central city hotel and take you to their office to collect your car, for free. Due to parking restraints there are no rental cars available in the hotels. I understand that Juicy will charge you. But you must check these details with which ever company that you decide to book with.

Kay

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Pickup

The Queenstown airport is 10 minutes from down town Queenstown

7. Re: Car Rental Pickup

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 April 2009, 09:17
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,747 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental Pickup

Why do you want a 4-wheel-drive? All the roads between towns are excellent two-lane country roads. Having a 4WD will just increase your rental and fuel costs.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,131 posts
330 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental Pickup

I can confirm that Jucy offer free pick-up in Queenstown (you have to go to their office near the airport to sign the papers).

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,523 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental Pickup

Syndeynick is correct. you only "need" a 4wd if you are going skiiing on one of the club fields. Even the ski roads to places like Coronet Peak or Mt Hutt only need chains at the top. On the very small chance of a road closure on one of the passes, if the road is closed (say 2 or 3 days per year) if it's closed for 2WD it will be closed for 4WD