We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bird watching, scenery and history in WA

Nantwich, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
452 reviews
Bird watching, scenery and history in WA

I'd really appreciate some advice on the best time to visit and the "must do" places for WA in order to satisfy my interests, birds, scenery and history.

I run my own business so have free time anytime from early October until mid March, ideally I can stay for four weeks.

Really looking forward to your ideas

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: Bird watching, scenery and history in WA

The Karri forests of the south west, especially around Pemberton are fantastic for birdlife, ranging from the exquisite Splendid Wren to Kookaburras with parrots in between. The coast line brings Pelicans, Ospreys and Oyster Catchers and my favourite place for that is Esperance. The Kimberley in the far north is amazing for bigger birds, storks, herons etc, but it's the wrong time of the year to go there really as the wet season starts in November and many dirt roads are inaccessible.

I'd hire a car and drive through the Karri forests, stopping en route at Pemberton (quite lot of pioneering and timber milling history there as well as birds) then a night or two in Albany which has beautiful scenery and then to Esperance, which has the most beautiful beaches in the world and birdlife. The Fitzgerald NP on the way to Esperance is also worth a visit and the Stirling Ranges for yet more variety of birdlife and scenery.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
17,172 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Bird watching, scenery and history in WA

For history try New Norcia and York.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Bird watching, scenery and history in WA

for history you can combine New Norcia, York and Toodyay

www.york.wa.gov.au/york-museum-home.aspx

toodyay.com/accom_result1/…

…wa.edu.au/visit-new-norcia/museum.html

You would need two days at least to enjoy everything.

If you can get to Kalgoorlie (serviced by train and bus and airplane from Perth) You get a fantastic insight into the historical gold mining and gold rush era. Do this if you can. You can spend serveral days in the Kalgoorlie, Coolgardie, Menzies, Leonora area and have a great time. You can stay at Mt Monger (and outback sheep station (Ranch) near Kalgoorlie for an insight into this life.

http://www.saltbush.net/saltbush.swf

You could combine Kalgoorlie and Coolgardie with a drive to Esperance to see some great wildlife and bird life and some of the top 10 beaches in the world. Coming from the UK you will be blown away by them.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,342 posts
243 reviews
4. Re: Bird watching, scenery and history in WA

Coming from the UK, just bear in mind that our idea of what constitutes history here is going to be very "young" compared to history in UK terms. Nothing over 200 years, not like Westminster Abbey!

Fortunately right in the city we have an enormous 400 hectare park called Kings Park with abundant local trees and lots of native birds - public land set aside by altruistic city founders for the benefit of those who live here. Fremantle (coastal port for Perth) is a good place to walk around and see historical buildings and several museums.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g25510…

Albany, 5 hrs drive south of Perth was settled 2 years before Perth in 1827, so has quite a historical background in State terms.

https:/…Albany.For.First.Timers.html

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
26,066 posts
61 reviews
5. Re: Bird watching, scenery and history in WA

We are visiting from mid September for the wildflowers. I know you didn't mention these, but they are spectacular, and sweep south from July to November. Something else to consider

westernaustralia.com/us/…WAWildflowers.aspx

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
68 reviews
6. Re: Bird watching, scenery and history in WA

It's great you have four weeks as there's plenty to explore around the state.

If you come in October you will get the last of the wildflowers in the south and the weather will be warming up but not ocean swimming in the south. You can also do some hiking and although hot maybe fit a trip to Exmouth/Coral Bay ( fly and rent a car for a week there) as well a loop through the south.

Other months will mean you can ocean swim in the south but perhaps too hot for the north.

You have been given great suggestions which I will add to.

That wildflower book has self drives so download the book in the link previously provided.

So for the south :

With 2-4 week you can go:

Perth- MR region- Pemberton and surrounds ( fabulous Forest walking) Walpole- Denmark- Albany ( all top coastal views, walking and some history), Porongorup and Stirling Range NPs ( some well reviewed accommodation/nature tours on TA)then call into Ongurup for Mallee Fowl Centre- Hopetoun ( gateway to terrific wilderness of Fitzgerald River NP)- Esperance- Kalgoorlie ( mining history follow up with visit to Perth Mint) then return to Perth.

That's a variety of landscapes, lots of great walk trails, spectacular coast, wineries and both Indigenous and European history.

For bird viewing on south coast:

rainbowcoast.com.au/areas/…birdlife.htm

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
72 reviews
7. Re: Bird watching, scenery and history in WA

Us Poms swam in the sea in Perth and Margaret River in October and November - it was warmer then than our sea ever gets..... plenty of local people swimming too.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,342 posts
243 reviews
8. Re: Bird watching, scenery and history in WA

Hi Bella - that sounds like a southern hemisphere variant of "mad dogs and Englishmen" LOL.

Cornwall, United...
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
72 reviews
9. Re: Bird watching, scenery and history in WA

It is! But when our air temperature rarely exceeds 21 or 22 in summer and the sea never gets above 16, maybe 18, you can see how attractive Perth/MR is to us, even in your Spring.

Nantwich, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
452 reviews
10. Re: Bird watching, scenery and history in WA

Wow, I'm blown away by your very informative and detailed replies to my question, the best I've ever had from a TA post - thankyou very much.

We've been to Australia three times previously, staying about 6 months in total but have never been to WA. For this trip we thought 4 weeks in WA would exhaust the possibilities but what you've suggested makes me think we should spend longer before we move on to "the other side". We have about 12 weeks in total.

You've done the majority of the work for me, using your suggestions I pretty much have our itinerary. We always have a car and stay at motel style accomodation to make our pounds go further. Is there anywhere really special that you think is worth paying more for because of the unique attraction offered there? For example we stayed at O'Reillys Rainforest Lodge whilst in QLD Lamington NP because of the abundance and variety of bird life and ease of seeing them. Is there anywhere similar in WA?

Thanks again for all your help, if you think of anything else please post it, I'm not booking anything for a few months, waiting to see what the EU referendum does to the exchange rate first haha.