We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time to Perth

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
First time to Perth

hi, I am planning a trip to Perth this June with my wife and 2 daughters, age 7 and 5. This is our first trip to Perth and following are the places we hope we can visit.

1. Swan valley

2. Orchard Glory Farm

3. Watertown outlet

4. Kings Park

5. Margaret River

6. Caversnam Wildlife Park

7. Fruit picking

Can anyone advise which would be the area to stay in? I'm looking for somewhere near eateries/restaurant/supermarkets. Is it better to stay in different areas near the places we are visiting? I will have a rental car too. Thanks.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,343 posts
243 reviews
1. Re: First time to Perth

All your listed places are in two locations (Perth and Margaret River) and you would ideally hire a car to get to most of these places. You have not indicated how long you plan to be here for this trip.

Others will advise about fruit picking but it depends on the season. June is winter - more fruit picking options in spring I think.

- Perth and metro/surrounding area - 1. Swan valley (40 minutes drive east from Perth city) 2. Orchard Glory Farm (Bindoon, 1hr.15 drive from Perth city) 3. Watertown outlet (in Perth city) 4. Kings Park (in Perth city) 6. CaversHam Wildlife Park (35 minutes drive SE of Perth city)

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g25510…

- Margaret River - 4 hrs drive from Perth. Not worthwhile as a day trip or if you can only stay one night. You would ideally stay here a minimum of 3 nights to make the travel each way worthwhile.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Travel-g25536…

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
1,844 reviews
2. Re: First time to Perth

Yes, you need two locations.

If you want to be by shops, restaurants and eateries then best choices are Perth CBD or Northbridge, and then either Margaret River town or Dunsborough.

Not a lot of choice for fruit picking in June. Check with Spring Valley Orchard in Donnybrook if the apples extend that far and Golden Grove Citrus in the Chittering Valley if the oranges have started.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,054 posts
70 reviews
3. Re: First time to Perth

Also be advised that few places allow visitors to pick due to insurance policy limitations.

Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
4. Re: First time to Perth

Thanks for the replies guys! I plan to stay in Perth for about 5 days. I might remove Margaret River as its too far for travel.

Is Swan Valley a good location to stay? Any recommendations for lodging there? Is Fremantle worth a visit?

Thanks again!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,343 posts
243 reviews
5. Re: First time to Perth

Swan Valley can be a great location to stay, depending on what you would like to do while you are here. Although its close to the city, its quite rural and there are sheep and cows on farm properties, as well as wineries and restaurants.

swanvalley.com.au/About_Swan_Valley/Must_See…

As a suggestion, you could choose to stay on a farm-stay property in the Swan Valley for 2 or 3 days to explore with a car (and visit Caversham Wildlife Park), and stay in Perth city area for the other 2 or 3 days and do your shopping and visit to Kings Park and a day trip to Fremantle by train perhaps.

Edited: 22 February 2016, 07:24
Singapore, Singapore
3 posts
6. Re: First time to Perth

Thank you for your reply!

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,350 posts
1,844 reviews
7. Re: First time to Perth

Just to clarify, if you do stay in the Swan Valley be careful on location if you want to have shops, restaurants and eateries close by. They are spread thinly and not much is open in the evening.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
99 reviews
8. Re: First time to Perth

If looking for somewhere to stay near shops and places to dine, then staying as close to the CBD as possible would be your best option, especially if you have a hire car, as it will be very easy to get about that way. King's Park is within easy reach, depending on where you stay but buses are free if you would rather not use the car around the CBD, and there's also the brand new Elizabeth Quay which is a highlight not to be missed. The Swan Valley is a half hour drive away and you can spend a day or half a day exploring. Beaches are a 20-30 minute drive away, Perth Zoo is south of the river - hop on the ferry to get across, or you can drive to Caversham Wildlife Park, which is around 20km away. The CBD has shopping street malls and Watertown outlet is a short walk from the centre. As already mentioned, Margaret River is a few hours drive and you would need 2 or 3 days to spend down there to make it worthwhile, so I'd say give that a miss if you only have 5 days in total! Other potential day trips could be The Pinnacles, a day in Fremantle (lots to see) or drive an hour south to Mandurah. There's also Rottnest Island to consider but it's quite pricey. Good luck with your planning.

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
416 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: First time to Perth

Fruit picking? Is that a thing now? I have never picked fruit as a pastime.

Definitely get a hire car for Margaret River ("Margs") and maybe check out Busselton too ("Busso") for a lovely seaside town. There is plenty for the kids to do there too. They will enjoy the beach there and the jetty.

Also, recommend Yallingup Maze for the kids. I went there with 3 other adults and even we had a blast! Haha.

Edited: 06 March 2016, 16:08
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: First time to Perth

Visiting the Swan Valley with a 5 and 7 year old can be great fun. You can visit the Margaret River Chocolate Factory, The Maze, Swan Valley Cuddly animal farm, Morish Nuts, Whistlers Chocolates, Whiteman Park, WA Reptile Park and Oasis Supa Golf - all these places will be fun for the whole family.

You may like to visit Rottnest Island for a day trip.