We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Discover Australia.com/Discover West.com Website

sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Discover Australia.com/Discover West.com Website

Has anyone else had the misfortune to use the Discover Aust/Discover West website to book accommodation?

We used it recently to book accommodation in Pemberton. The accommodation was advertised on their website as 4 Star having a great restaurant, nice rooms and a pool. Unfortunately this was false advertising as the motel (Karri Forest Motel) was definitely not even 2 Star the restaurant was closed, the pool brown and rooms disgusting and dirty. No refund was available from the motel as we had paid all our money upfront weeks before to Discover Aust. They also refused a refund and said they only act

as the booking agent and do not guarantee the provision of services!! Beware if you are looking at booking anything through this website as there is no guarantee you will get what was advertised and NO way they will refund your money. We are the losers unfortunately having paid up front for 2 rooms. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had this problem.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Discover Australia.com/Discover West.com Website

That is a terrible story, Carmelte.

Discover Australia needs to take the blame, surely!

Any ideas for compensation, forumites? Small claims tribunal or something?

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
14,260 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Discover Australia.com/Discover West.com Website

>>said they only act as the booking agent and do not guarantee the provision of services<<

Not sure that excuses them at all! The term false advertising comes to mind?

I know the consumer website notgoodenough has a travel/accommodation section, and for a fee they will also follow up the matter for you. There's another consumer review website that has a travel section but I can't think of the name right now.

Small claims tribunal, I think the way it works is there's a small fee and you represent yourself, I guess the catch is you have to travel over there? But you should be able to check on the official website.

State Consumer Affairs department. Again there should be a website where you can check what can be done. Or they might refer you to the ACCC.

accc.gov.au/content/…

They've got some info on 'Misleading & deceptive conduct' and 'False or misleading representations'.

And just keep niggling at them, that sometimes goes for the consumer affairs people too sadly, but if you persist sometimes they'll do the right thing, not so much because it's the right thing but to get you off their backs. Sad world.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
13,999 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Discover Australia.com/Discover West.com Website

I would skip all bases and go straight to consumer affairs / fair trading. They specifically deal false claims by commercial entities.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,641 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Discover Australia.com/Discover West.com Website

www.commerce.wa.gov.au

First step, RING the Dept not email. Get a name and keep on top of them. Have heard of mixed results but majority good. Good luck!

Also - have you done a review on TA to assist other travellers?

Edited: 25 May 2011, 03:33
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
606 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Discover Australia.com/Discover West.com Website

Is this website based in Australia and if not does consumer affair have any power to act. Just a thought.

Fred

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,641 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Discover Australia.com/Discover West.com Website

DISCOVER WEST HOLIDAYS Company Profile

HEAD OFFICE: 19 Olive St, PO Box 8073, Subiaco, Perth WA 6008, Australia.

Kalhaven Group 1996-2011.

sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Discover Australia.com/Discover West.com Website

No apparently they take no blame and unless the motel wants to refund the money (which of course they don't) they just wipe their hands of you. So much for service!

sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Discover Australia.com/Discover West.com Website

Yes it is sad when you pay your money in good faith and they can get out of it by saying they are only the booking agent and do not guarantee the services. I have tried consumer affairs WA and they said that unless the motel wants to refund they cannot do anything about the situation. Seems very strange to me but I am only the customer!!

sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Discover Australia.com/Discover West.com Website

Did that they were not helpful, they spoke to Discover Aust and got the same answer as me and also the motel who said he could not see any problems with the accommodation or the pool, did admit the restaurant was closed (I suppose he had to as it was still closed when they spoke to him) My message is DO NOT use this website to book your holiday as you cannot trust that the information is correct.

sydney
Level Contributor
9 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Discover Australia.com/Discover West.com Website

Yes did that and had many conversations with one of their officers. The answer was still the same they could not make either party refund. Useless if you ask me.