We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Melbourne - tips & advice needed!

1 post
4 days in Melbourne - tips & advice needed!
Save

Hi everybody!

I'm planning a trip to Melbourne sometime in December to catch Coldplay's concert.

I've never been to Melbourne before and I'd like to know how much should I put aside for a 4 days trip in Melbourne - return flights (from Singapore), accomodation & basic expenses for 2 pax.

I don't really plan to do much in Melbourne, just wanna catch the concert & just explore Melbourne on the other days. Just a really chill trip.

Will SGD2800 be sufficient for the 4days3nights trip (for 2 pax) in Melbourne?

Looking forward to getting your tips for my virgin trip to Melbourne. Cheers!

Level Contributor
187 posts
4 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: 4 days in Melbourne - tips & advice needed!
Save

Hard to say as accomodation and flights vary greatly depending on endless factor

You could easily find quotes for these yourself. We could help with spending money allocation though.

I'd imagine melb is pretty similar to Singapore in food etc. Alcohol is cheaper

Maybe $200 each per day on spending would ensure a good time with good food measuems etc then add hotel & flights

Could do it a lot cheaper though

Edited: 4 years ago
Port Phillip...
1 post
2. Re: 4 days in Melbourne - tips & advice needed!
Save

S$=AUD roughly about the same, S$ might be a bit stronger by year end. Cost of living (except for cars and housing) is higher in Melbourne. A simple meal will easily cost you $8 upwards, even economy rice. A cup of coffee average $3.50, whether its a cappuccino or long black. You'll never be able to get a plate of chicken rice for $1-$2 like you still can in Singapore. If you're adventurous with food, there's a huge variety to try, and you can safely allocate $30-$40 per meal depending on what you like. Hotels can be quite expensive too, but there are plenty of short stay apartments available at websites like Airbnb, Stayz, Homeaway etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,525 posts
309 reviews
252 helpful votes
3. Re: 4 days in Melbourne - tips & advice needed!
Save

Pick your hotel and book it, then you'll at least have that out of the way. The previous post gives some good basic indications of food prices. Lots of Asian eateries in the Melbourne CBD, though I suggest trying something more "local" on occasion too. Many pubs have midweek specials on lunch and dinner. Try a nice aussie steak with chips and salad, or a chicken parmigiana!

Public transport will cost you no more than $7.80 per day on weekdays or $6 per day on weekends, plus the initial $6 cost to buy a stored value "Myki" card which is used to pay for all public transport.

I think you should still do some research on what else you'd like to see in Melbourne apart from the concert. It would be a shame to feel afterwards that you wasted your time and missed out on seeing some interesting places & nice spots.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,846 posts
67 reviews
71 helpful votes
4. Re: 4 days in Melbourne - tips & advice needed!
Save

Coldplay are playing at Etihad Stadium, located at the Docklands. For accommodation, I would suggest any where in either the city center (CBD) or Southbank. Both areas are within walking distance of the Docklands or a short (free) tram ride away. We have no idea how much you are willing to spend on accommodation, so you should let us know that. As for spending money daily, that really depends on your tastes. You can eat for just a few dollars a day or very lavishly. If you have a daily budget, then just ensure you stick to it. There are plenty of supermarkets around the city where you can buy food on the go, if that's what you want.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
34,030 posts
16 reviews
9 helpful votes
5. Re: 4 days in Melbourne - tips & advice needed!
Save

Accommodation www.venere.com

www.visitmelbourne.com

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
27 reviews
3 helpful votes
6. Re: 4 days in Melbourne - tips & advice needed!
Save

There are lots of different style accommodations you can stay in. There are a number of great hotels that cost between $150 - $300 per night. Start looking on some of the accommodation booking web sites. These are two that I use a lot and they have a great choice of places to stay at. Make your booking soon as December is a busy time for tourists and you do not want to miss out on getting good accommodation. Wishing you all the best. Have a wonderful holiday here.

www.booking.com

https://au.hotels.com

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
7. Re: 4 days in Melbourne - tips & advice needed!
Save

PLEASE do me a favor and ask coldplay if they are doing a tour in Singapore. I am so in awe of you :,) Coldplay is a legend!!!!

8. Re: 4 days in Melbourne - tips & advice needed!

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2017, 09:45
US$USD
India
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in India. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.