We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

parking a campervan

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
parking a campervan

any one give me any parking sites in or near melbourne towncentre ive found 2, 1 called stupid cms and 1 called ? on bridge street,the names ofthese sound as they are camping shops and not overnight parking places, we are ariving mid april traveling the coast rd from sydney ,so any infomation on that route would be welcome. regards phil

Mornington, Victoria
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: parking a campervan

Manukmanc,

Ther are not a lot of Caravan parks 'close' to the city of melbourne, but there are some on the outer fringes of the city which are close to most forms of public transport to readily access the city etc. Parking is not easy for campervans in the city itself, and can be quite expensive in parks that accomodate vans etc. There are areas just outside the city proper which have street parking for vans, but once again can be a little difficult, depending on the size of the van. To help you decide on what is suitable there is a site which gives you areas around the city, but if you are coming from Sydney by the coast road, then those on the eastern side would be best eg: Frankston, Dandenong, Chelsea Gardens. Also when you arrive in Sydney, check with the Motoring Association NRMA and they can provide you with booklets and maps of the coast drive to Melbourne, which will contain the parks and their facilities, cost etc. Also the motoring association in Victoria the RACV has the same information. Depending on when you arrive in April and will be travelling, accommodation should be quite easy, but if it is Easter (April 6-9), then things will be a lot tighter.

Sites that could be helpful are:

www.nrma.com.au

www.racv.com.au

totaltravel.com.au/travel/…caravan

In the suburbs closer to the city , there are a number of places that you could leave your van and then take public transport to the city, which may suit you better, but once again be guided by the motoring associations and the van park owners as to safety etc.

Good lick with your travels, and have a great time in Australia

Pengirl.

Mornington, Victoria
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: parking a campervan

Manukmanc

There are not a lot van parks 'close' to the city of Melburne, but ther are some on the outer fringes, which you can access the city by public transport easily. If your are travelling from Sydney by the coast road, then those on the eastern side would be better, eg: Dandenong, Frankston, Chelsea Gardens etc. When you arrive in Sydney check with the motoring association , NRMA who can supply with maps and a caravan park guide for that particular route. In Melbourne the RACV can do the same. There a some areas close into the city where you could park the van as you sightsee, but depending on the size of your van, some bays would not be suitable. There are railway stations which have parking attached and perhaps this would be a better idea. In the city itself, some parks can accommodate vans, but can be quite expensive, so public transport from a nearby area would be better. Check with the motoring associations and the park owners as to safety of some areas etc. Some site that could be helpful are:

www.nrma.com.au

www.racv.com.au

totaltravel.com.au/travel/…caravan

this last one has the areas I mentioned on it with photos etc.

Hope you have a great time in Australia, and good luck with your travels.

Pengirl

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: parking a campervan

thanks verymuch pengirl,i will have a look on them sites you told me about, i believe we get a book on campsites when we pick up the camper,but i like to be organized well in front and have that all planned,once again thanks regards phil ,manchester uk

4. Re: parking a campervan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 16:51