We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tentative itinerary

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
338 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Tentative itinerary

All comments/suggestions welcome. I am travelling as a lone parent with my 12 year old daughter who is well versed in travelling. We are only coming in from Singapore so Jet lag should not come into the equation but I'd be pleased to hear your views on what I've missed out.

Arrive Wednesday 8.30am - staying at All Seasons Victoria hotel in Little Collins street. I know we won't be able to check in but will just dump bags, visit the cbd and go on the free tram etc. Visit gaol and then aquarium late afternoon, back to hotel freshen up then out for dinner, somewhere local then early night.

Thursday - Tour Great Ocean road tour with Gray lines

Friday - Puffing Billy with winery tour and hopefully Penguin tour if possible.

Saturday- Long lie in Chocolate walking tour at lunchtime/St Kilda beach in the afternoon/dinner

Sunday - 7am departure for New Zealand.

Many thanks

Jo

Go West Tours
Segway Tours, Day Trips, Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Dancing Kangaroo Tours
Walking Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Hidden Secrets Tours
Walking Tours, Food Tours, Cultural Tours
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tentative itinerary

Sounds good though a very short stay! You'll undoubtedly be spoilt for choice for somewhere to eat in the CBD.

If you're coming in the next couple of months, be prepared for St. Kilda beach to be cold at night. While you're there you can go to Luna Park and take the "scenic railway"/rollercoaster for a bit of a view. I'd recommend my personal favourite, Renix Pizza for dinner, opposite McDonalds in St. Kilda on the Acland Street side, though there are plenty of restaurants in the area, and even more on Fitzroy Street.

I'm not particularly convinced your 12 year old daughter will enjoy a winery tour?!?! Puffing Billy is a fun way to spend a whole day, or you could just make sure you time yourself to definitely have time for a trip to Phillip Island that evening as you suggest.

Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tentative itinerary

Agree with Robol, and would add that Phillip Island is a ways to go and the little penguins can be quite far away so pls have a read of the reviews that give tips on how to make the most of it! If you like animals, keep Melb Zoo in reserve - you can go by tram from the city. Have a fab trip :)

melbourne
Level Contributor
313 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tentative itinerary

From puffing billy to wineries (and I assume you mean Yarra valley) is at least 1 hour drive. Then from Yarra valley to Phillip island is going to be 2.5 hours. Back to cbd is at least 1.5 hrs. I think it is too much for one day. Have you checked the PB timetables? I think the first one leaves at 10.30 and the first return is around 1.30?? Don't go al the way to Gembrook. Lakeside is plenty. You could potentially do PB and penguins in one day but not wineries too. If you are traveling soon bear in mind that it is winter and very cold on phillip island at night where the penguins are. Really really cold. Personally I would go the zoo but that's just IMO!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tentative itinerary

I agree with Vosse and GoGirl that doing Puffing Billy and Phillip Island in one day will be too much.

Given your busy itinerary and that your daughter is 12 years old, I'd also agree with Robol to leave out wineries.

What I'd do instead, is Puffing Billy and Healesville Sanctuary in one day.

There are a few operators doing this tour, and they start from about $125 (not including lunch, but you can pay more and include lunch) and depart around 8.20am, returning about 5.30pm.

Regarding the zoo suggestion, having been to both Singapore Zoo and Melbourne Zoo recently - Singapore Zoo kicks Melbourne Zoo's butt and it would pale in comparison if you've been to the Singapore one before you stop here. Note: if you do go to Singapore Zoo (and I strongly recommend it) go to the night safari if possible.

On your first day in Melbourne, you might enjoy going to the SkyDeck in the Eureka Tower for the view.

If you are coming anytime between now and September – do bring a scarf, gloves, hat and umbrella with you.

Edited: 18 June 2012, 05:02
Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tentative itinerary

I'd seriously give second thoughts to the Phillip Island idea.

It gets dark early so you need to be there by about 5. It's freezing cold and the wind bites through you - if you go, take blankets to sit on (the concrete is bum numbing) , beanies, scarves, gloves and anything else you can lay your hands on to protect you from the Antarctica winds. And of course an umbrella as you will be sitting out in the open. Winter is when the little penguins are out at sea so the numbers that come ashore are also down - averages for June are about 500 per night down from several thousand in the height of summer.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tentative itinerary

+1 with eva especially since you have penguins at St Kilda pier already, coming at night... and for free.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
338 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tentative itinerary

Wow thanks for all your posts and really helpful information. I've managed to shave a day off Singapor as we've been twice so that means we arrive Melbourne Tuesday. We are not coming until next April by the way but I'm a bit of a control freak and like to have a rough idea of whats what before I book the flights which looks like its been a good idea in this case as I need longer for Melburne than I thought.

I know what you mean about the winery with my daughter but of the whole holiday (19 days) there is only one thing I wanted desperately to do and it's this. I've found a segway tour www.city-discovery.com/melbourne/tour.php… as we love the segways in Singapore so I think she'll be fairly happy. Given her age I think we may pass on the puffing billy and just do the penguins, can you just do a half day penguin tour?

We are doing the night safari in Singapore so may skip the zoo and do the aquarium instead.

Definately want to do the fairground at St Kilda, sounds so cool.

Sky deck sounds good too.

Many thanks and sorry if I ask like a million questions before next April!!

Jo & Natalie

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,463 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tentative itinerary

I can imagine you'll both become the attraction yourselves scooting around here on segways.Ive not seen any nor heard of such a tour in Melbourne, though I dont get into the CBD as much as I used to these days!

Another typically Melbourne way to see the city is on the free Route 35 city circle tram. This is the only free tram route in Melbourne.It usually plays an audio commentary or has a conductor giving a commentary on board,though sometimes one or both may be "on break"..!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
338 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tentative itinerary

Hi Robol

The segway tour is of the winery, other posters were concerned she may be a bit bored at the winery but if she's on a segway I'm sure she'll be fine.

Thanks for your input, I had seen the city tram, it looks like we are staying at the all seasons victoria hotel on Little Collins street, I think that is fairly central.

Thanks

Jo

10. Re: Tentative itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 08:47