We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel - suite to prepare for wedding

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel - suite to prepare for wedding

My sister is getting married in January 2012. It's very early days and she has not yet booked a venue. However, I am looking at hotels to stay in the night before the wedding.

Ideally, I'd like a room where our mother, the bride (my sister) and the bridesmaid (me!) can all get ready together, and of course photos would be taken by the photographer. (It may even end up that she and I share the room the night before - and I would stay there the night of the wedding, also.)

I'm thinking we may need a suite of some kind in order to have enough space to all get ready together.

Is there any hotel you know of that would have a suite/room that would fulfil these requirements? I don't want to spend 4 figures per night, but am willing to be flexible up to $700 per night given it's such a special occasion.

She is considering venues around the Southbank end of the city, so if there are hotels around that area, that would be even better.

Thanks all! I don't know hotels in Melbourne at all so your help is appreciated.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
813 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel - suite to prepare for wedding

If your main reason for the room is to get ready, and you are not that fussed about the location, than I would suggest a 2 bedroom apartment at the Hilton South Wharf.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel - suite to prepare for wedding

I had a one bedroom corner suite at the Sofitel. Big lounge, nice sized dining table, large screen tv in bedroom and louge, walk in wardrobe and bathroom. Great views over Treasury Gardens as well. Can recommend that (and also access to a great club lounge with drinks and canapes all day).

Problem is if unless you were prepared to share a bed most one bedroom suites only have one big king bed - unless you sprung for a 2 bedroom which would cost a lot more. Maybe have a look at some of the serviced apartments (such as Quay West or Medina) which are more up market but often have hotel type facilities.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
813 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel - suite to prepare for wedding

The reason I suggested the Hilton South Wharf, is because you will get a massive 2 bedroom apartment, with the option of splitting the king bed in to 2 in one of the rooms so a 3rd person to stay if you wanted, for about $500-$600.

Noosa, Australia
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel - suite to prepare for wedding

You could have a look at the Crown Promenade...They have suites, but as mentioned above they only have one king bed.

Apart from that (which may not be an issue if all three won't be there the night before), it suits your other requirements. I have definitely seen these priced under $700/night, and it is in a great location.

The Sebel also have 1 Bedroom Suites, and are much better priced but may not be as of high quality. Great location, though not on the Southbank.

If you do need 2 bedrooms, you could have a look at the Quay West Suites. A 2 bedroom suite would be within your budget here. Also has a Southbank location.

Stelle :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel - suite to prepare for wedding

Thanks all. To be fair to him I should probably point out Dad will be there too; but I don't think of him 'getting ready' when there's no hair and make-up involved. :)

Andy - the decor of the Sofitel looks a bit blegh. (Not necessarily modern lines for the photos.) Did you like it? Although nice views as a backdrop for photos would be good.

I will investigate those options - and if anyone else has further ideas, always open to hearing them.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel - suite to prepare for wedding

Hi Kateoz

Look the Club Lounge is modern and comptempory - it was only built in the last 2-3 years.

The rooms themselves are in good nick and are clean and I loved it - but the decor you could prolly say is a bit dated (would have said late 90's, early 2000's since they were renovated - unless they have done anything recent). I would say the tvs, bedding and carpets were new but the rest of the furniture wasn't . So yes there are more modern hotels (the new Crown and Hilton do come to mind). But the views (if you get the right room) are to die for...specially on a rainy day funnily enough.

The Grand Hyatt went thro a renovation of its public areas last year I have also stayed there and its nice. Not sure if the rooms were tho (or the suites may have been but not the standard rooms).

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel - suite to prepare for wedding

What about the Charsfield Hotel on St Kilda Road? www.charsfield.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel - suite to prepare for wedding

Thanks BB, I had never heard of the Charsfield.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel - suite to prepare for wedding

Melbourne has a host of beautiful architecture, both old and modern. You could even opt for the hotel of your choice and take your the photos elsewhere in Melbourne.

It depends on what your sister wants as she could do photos in the famous 'laneways", at Parliament House or any other old world buildings, the many Melbourne gardens, the beach, along the Yarra, Fed Square etc. Even along the Southgate area as it's very pretty with the buildings as the backdrop.

There are many places that brides choose for their photos but of course, beware of our very fickle weather!

Have a great trip

Edited: 22 February 2011, 06:13
Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel - suite to prepare for wedding

Hi Kateoz - well if your going to consider outside the CBD then I should recommend The Art Series hotels, particularly The Olsen which is new, on Chapel st (opposite the Como Centre) and has a nice bar and restaurant (and your also close to other restaurants etc). It has a variety of rooms including spa suites and 2 bedroom suites. Didn't check the prices but I liked the hotel (they also have one just off St Kilda Road and a 3 star hotel in Commercial Rd Prahran);

www.artserieshotels.com.au//Olsen/rooms

Edit: Just checked the pricing on a random weekend booking in April - 2 bedrooms for $550's. Not bad really.

Edited: 22 February 2011, 14:56