We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne to Sydney Great Ocean Road drive in 2 days

New Milford, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Melbourne to Sydney Great Ocean Road drive in 2 days

Hi there. I will be driving from Melbourne to Sydney the first week of December and I'm wondering where would be the best place to stay overnight between the 2. It will be my last night of my vacation so I'd love it to be somewhere amazing possibly on the beach somewhere. Does anyone have any ideas of a great place to stay on the GOR about halfway between Melbourne and Sydney? I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks!

Great Ocean Road Small-Group Ecotour...
1,650 Reviews
from US$ 97.80*
Special Offer
Phillip Island Tour from Melbourne
667 Reviews
from US$ 83.70*
US$ 119.50
Phillip Island Penguin, Brighton...
534 Reviews
from US$ 97.80*
Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,523 posts
150 reviews
1. Re: Melbourne to Sydney Great Ocean Road drive in 2 days

Firstly the Great Ocean Road from Melbourne is in the reverse direction to Sydney.

It will take you at least a day to drive the GOR from Melbourne say to Port Campbell, and then you will be several hundred kilometres further away from Sydney. It will mean that you will that you will have a 1000km trip to Sydney.

You will need more than 2 days if you intend to see the scenery on the GOR.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,190 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Melbourne to Sydney Great Ocean Road drive in 2 days

Yes Theresa - I suggest you have a look at the map. Going Sydney - Melbourne or visaversa you go no where near the GOR. You have a choice of 2 routes - one inland (quicker and mainly freeway) or along part of the coast (further south) which is only freeway maybe 30% of the way and takes longer.

The GOR is between (well sort of) Melbourne and Adelaide/ South Australian border.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,638 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Melbourne to Sydney Great Ocean Road drive in 2 days

www.visitvictoria.com.au has info & maps for Victoria which should give you a better understanding of what the others have explained.

Do you have to return the rental car to Sydney? If you can return it to Melbourne Airport , then look at getting a cheap flight to Sydney instead. This will let you drive down the GOR & stay near Port Campbell overnight. The next morning, drive back to whichever airport you can get a flight from (& return the car to).

What time is your flight from Sydney? If you have to drive back to Sydney, then your best option will be driving up the Hume. You can do this drive in one long day, or you can break it up by stopping somewhere like Echuca or Beechworth. You will need to give the GOR a miss though if you are driving back.

There is a coastal route from Melbourne to Sydney, but 2 days isn't doable if you need to be at the airport the afternoon of the 2nd day.

New Milford, New...
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
4. Re: Melbourne to Sydney Great Ocean Road drive in 2 days

Thank you so much for the information. I can see how I was confused about the GOR and the coastal route. OK, so now I have an updated follow-up question of the 2 options. I have 2 days for the drive (my flight leaves at noon on the 3rd day). Would it be better to take the 2 days and drive the opposite direction on the GOR and stop overnight somewhere and then fly back to Sydney? Or would it be better to use the 2 days to drive the coastal route to Sydney and stop overnight in that direction. I have 2 full days for either drive. I really appreciate the help and you can see I was way off to begin with!

Wangaratta...
Destination Expert
for Kota Kinabalu, Wangaratta, Sandakan
Level Contributor
8,523 posts
150 reviews
5. Re: Melbourne to Sydney Great Ocean Road drive in 2 days

If you drive the Great Ocean Road and overnight you will have to either go to Adelaide or return to Melbourne to catch a flight to Sydney.

If you have 2 full days I would suggest that you would be better off driving the coastal route from Melbourne to Sydney and overnight at Eden or Merimbula. Have a look at this link, even tough it is in the reverse direction to your trip, as it will help with ideas of places to stay and sights to see.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g255055-i120-k2111…

6. Re: Melbourne to Sydney Great Ocean Road drive in 2 days

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2011, 12:02