We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Qantas or Virgin Blue

Malaysia
Level Contributor
418 posts
Save Topic
Qantas or Virgin Blue

Will be taking a flight from Syd to Mel. Virgin is slightly cheaper. Anyone familiar with these two can tell me if there are significant differences between the two that I should be aware of? If not, then I would just go with the cheaper one.

Melbourne, Victoria
Level Contributor
193 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Qantas or Virgin Blue

For such a short flight, go with the cheapest. Book direct with them in case of any problems. It will be cheaper and easier to resolve than going through a third party and may charge you more anyway.

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Qantas or Virgin Blue

On Qantas, a "refreshment" will be served (what you get depends on the time of day), whereas you will have to pay for this on Virgin.

-- G

Bellarine...
Destination Expert
for Victoria
Level Contributor
3,778 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Qantas or Virgin Blue

When we travel around Australia, we will always have the option of 3 carriers...Jetstar, Virgin and Qantas. Even though Jetstar is really Qantas, I am not a fan of the budget type airline...so that leaves Virgin and Qantas...There are some subtle differences, the main one being that you have to purchase a movie or food on Virgin but the Qantas food isn't worth much of a difference and you only get movies on the longer domestic flights anyway.

So in answer to your question, I am with the others, both are fine, take the cheapest. Only thing you might want to check is if there are any air points concerned but they would be very minimal anyway on such a short flight.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
272 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Qantas or Virgin Blue

I would just go with the cheapest. You're only on the plane for an hour and 15 mins so you can do without the refreshment.

You should check however if the slightly cheaper rate includes checked baggage or not. Virgin has a cheaper rate without checked baggage then add $8 for checked baggage. If you select the non baggage fare and have baggage when you arrive at the airport, they charge you $20.

central coast nsw
Level Contributor
522 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Qantas or Virgin Blue

Ditto what others say - its barely 1hr 15min flight so go with cheapest option but make sure you factor baggage. Qantas has a higher allowance than Virgin does. Virgin tend to get their planes unloaded faster which generally gets you out of airport quicker who can only be good. Virgin will also charge for in-flight entertainment ($5 or so) but given time, a good book covers this !

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,098 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Qantas or Virgin Blue

True to form, I'll disagree with the others. I'd go with Qantas over Virgin any day. Yes, snacks and/or a hot dinner for evening flights plus free alcohol on weekday evenings doesn't mean much on a one hour flight. But the advantages of Qantas which include not having to mess around with paying to check luggage or finding coins if you're thirsty and want a drink on board, plus earning 1000 miles for a flight that's usually only around the $100 mark, as well as more professional service and pleasant ambiance in terminals and on board, all tip the scales in favour if Qntas for me. Horese for courses though. I'm the sort of person who prefers comfort and quality over saving $10.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
418 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Qantas or Virgin Blue

Glad to hear your inputs.

I think I will just go for Virgin. I do have a luggage to check in, that means I better pay for it at the same time when I book the tix online to avoid paying $20 at the airport?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,340 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Qantas or Virgin Blue

poplos, check the fees Virgin will charge you for booking with them - you'll get to the end of your booking and find out what they are. The additional fees and charges are a bit like a car and the optional extras. Yes I'll just have that rear window wiper, and mud flaps and the tinted windows - YIKES - it's an extra $XXXX. You get all of the optional extras with Qantas. Even tho' it's a short flight I'm with Stephen on this one.

melbourne
Level Contributor
6,726 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Qantas or Virgin Blue

ditto with Stephen on this one also.

its an all up fare,and ive been watching Qantas and Virgin differences and Q has been coming out better on some routes,and considering you get your snack/meal,drinks,alcohol at times,entertainment and luggage inclusive,Ive swayed towards Q on certain routes.

London
Level Contributor
714 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Qantas or Virgin Blue

As I'm currently looking at domestic flights for our August Australia trip I've got a couple of things to point out: while Jetstar and Virgin Blue charge $3pp per sector if you pay by credit card, Qantas charge $7.50 pp (though of course that does include luggage). Also, check that a flight on the Qantas timetable isn't actually a Jetstar flight - one I'm looking at is a total of $488 for 4 of us on Jetstar's site but the SAME flight is a total of $518.80 booked via Qantas' site.

Haven't flown Qantas for domestic sectors for about 15 years and both Virgin Blue and Jetstar have been fine (especially since they stopped the non-allocated seats).