We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pre-Paid SIM Card in MEL

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Topic
Pre-Paid SIM Card in MEL

Hi All,

I may need to tap the expertise on not only the locals but maybe to those who has visited MEL.

I will bring my mobile phone along and intend to get a pre-paid SIM card only.

I know that the major players in MEL is Vodafone, Telstra, Optus, to name a few.

I have been to Telstra and Optus website to look for more info but I just can't figure it out the pricing system. Please pardon my capability on that.

Therefore, I would like to know for a tourist like me who just want to call home to Singapore, which provider should I go with that offer the best rates?

I will be visiting MEL CBD, Canterbury, St. Kilda, Great Ocean Road and Philips Island.

May I know are these big Telco co. have a store in MEL airport?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne Airport
Melbourne Airport
Tullamarine, Australia
St Kilda
St Kilda
Port Phillip, Australia
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Pre-Paid SIM Card in MEL

Hi Mousehunt,

Before purchasing a new SIM Card, did you check with your provider in Singapore if your phone does not work on Australian networks?

I have a friend from Singapore and when he comes here he always uses his phone, I'm not sure what's his provider though.

----------------------------------------

www.tellmyname.com

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pre-Paid SIM Card in MEL

Hi GoldCoast,

Thanks for sounding that out. My mobile is a Sony Ericsson C902 and it support the following networks,

GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1800/1900 UMTS/HSDPA 2100

Do you think Aussie network will support it?

Thanks.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pre-Paid SIM Card in MEL

That handset should give you no problems here, just go to you chosen network provider when you get into the city where they are all represented (or at the airport), show them your phone and tell them what you want. All of these providers should give you coverage in the places you want to go, though coastlines can sometimes be a bit tricky. But you would be moving on and would soon be back on your network.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,732 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pre-Paid SIM Card in MEL

Thanks Langy.

Does anyone know are these big Telco co. have a store in MEL airport?

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Melbourne Airport
Melbourne Airport
Tullamarine, Australia
Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pre-Paid SIM Card in MEL

More than your handset I was referring to your provider in Singapore. Chances are that you can use your phone in Australia without any need to purchase a new SIM.

I know someone from Singapore who can use his mobile worlwide. You may need to ring your provider and ask if they support foreign networks (often that feature has to be enabled before you can use it).

Maybe your provider doesn't support it, but it may be worth to ask.

------------------------------------

www.tellmyname.com

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Pre-Paid SIM Card in MEL

What you need is International Roaming set up through your home network, OR get a pre-paid SIM when you get here that will have its own number. Vodaphone certainly have an outlet at the airport. In the city, at the corner of Swanston and Bourke Streets you will find both Telstra and Optus, with Vodaphone on the Little Collins and Swanston Street corner nearby. Then there are numerous dealerships around the city.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
727 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pre-Paid SIM Card in MEL

You can buy pre-paid SIMs in many locations including major supermarkets but you need to go into a telco store to activate them - they require photo ID and an address in Australia

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Australia
Level Contributor
4,089 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pre-Paid SIM Card in MEL

I have bought (several, unfortunately!) Vodaphone sim cards for $2.00 from Safeway (also, known as Woolworths, elsewhere in Australia - one of our major supermarkets here) and Big W, and have never needed to head into the store for activation. I remember "speaking" to a computer on the phone to activate my account, after giving some details. I'm not so sure you need to provide an Australian address ... I don't remember doing so, but, things may have changed now.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pre-Paid SIM Card in MEL

Not sure you need photo id..but not sure you can also auto activate if you are using a foreign credit card for top ups. I know i needed to go to an actual store...however that may have changed.

I would pump for a SIM card from here anyway...international roaming can be quite expensive and several people have fallen foul of high costs.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
727 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pre-Paid SIM Card in MEL

My son works for a mobile phone company & tells me that ID and a residential address (even if it is a hotel) are legal requirements to register a SIM in Oz - has been that way for several years at least. Talking to the machine is to register credits.