We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off Peak Season to Melbourne

singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Off Peak Season to Melbourne

Hello,

I'm planning a trip to Melbourne with my 2 kids - 3.5 yrs old and 5 mths old sometime this year.

As I'm with very young kids, I will prefer a less crowded season to visit. As my husband loves a cool weather too, can someone suggest a good time to visit? Would end Aug/sept be good, in that aspect?

Also, will appreciate if you can give a quick tip on how best to spend the 2 wks in or around Melbourne. I do not mind driving to places where the kids can enjoy themselves.

Thanks in advance!

Great Ocean Road Small-Group Ecotour...
1,647 Reviews
from US$ 98.00*
Special Offer
Phillip Island Tour from Melbourne
666 Reviews
from US$ 83.80*
US$ 119.80
Phillip Island Penguin, Brighton...
534 Reviews
from US$ 98.00*
Melboune
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
206 reviews
1. Re: Off Peak Season to Melbourne

End Aug/early Sept would be a good time to visit from your point of view. There are school holidays from 20 Sept to 5 Oct, but even during this time most attractions won't be too crowded although accommodation could be tight for the football Grand Final (last Saturday in September). The peak times for visitors are during the Australian Open tennis (mid to late Jan), the Grand Prix (early March) and the Spring Racing Carnival (the week that includes the 1st Tuesday in November).

-- G

Melboune
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
206 reviews
2. Re: Off Peak Season to Melbourne

For things to do, see replies to "One week in Melbourne with Kids" in this forum. Also note Puffing Billy - see

http://www.puffingbilly.com.au/

Note that on weekdays, if you're in the city or eastern suburbs, there is a train at 9.17 from Flinders St that runs express for much of the way to Belgrave that connects with the 10.30 am Puffing Billy departure (you need a 1+2 zone Metlink ticket to get to Belgrave but it's pretty good value compared with the tour buses!)

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,257 posts
2,211 reviews
3. Re: Off Peak Season to Melbourne

Agree with gatt16. Avoid the ripoff tour bus companies - see www.connexmelbourne.com.au for frequent trains to Belgrave. You need a Zone 1 plus 2 daily ticket on Mondays to Saturdays: on Sundays, buy the cheaper 'Sunday Saver' for the rockbottom price of $2.90 for unlimited metrpolitan train, tram and bus travel.

Puffing Billy fares are of course extra cost. Small children will like going to just Lakeside (Emerald Lake Park) not the full trip to Gembrook.

If you travel in the front carriage of the Connex suburban train ex Melbourne (Flinders St station) you can walk past the driver's cab on arrival at Belgrave and the path to the Puffing Billy narrow gauge station is ahead of you.

Yes, the 0917 express on weekdays does connect to Puffing Billy and is a good service! It leaves Flinders Street platforms 2 or 3.

singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
4. Re: Off Peak Season to Melbourne

Thank you for all your great advice.

am looking forward to visit melbourne...

5. Re: Off Peak Season to Melbourne

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 08:51