We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice restaurant for special birthday

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
89 reviews
44 helpful votes
Nice restaurant for special birthday

My Husband will turn 40 on a Friday when we’re in Melbourne. Can anyone recommend anywhere for a special birthday meal? We like most types of food. Not too expensive if possible. We will be staying at Novotel on Collins so preferably somewhere within a short walk/taxi ride. Many thanks

7 replies to this topic
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
189 reviews
119 helpful votes
1. Re: Nice restaurant for special birthday

Hi I had my birthday last year in Melbourne we went to Maha, this however is not cheap. I would also recommend Seamstress great venue, cool bar and wonderful food at a reasonable price.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Re…

We also stopped by and sampled some pre-dinner drinks at the rooftop bar at Bomba. The cocktails were great here and the views from the roof a bonus. If tapas is your thing then here could also be a good choice the reviews are good.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Re…

Both are a short walk away.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
28,914 posts
66 reviews
129 helpful votes
2. Re: Nice restaurant for special birthday

You really have to expand on ‘not too expensive’, as it could mean a whole range of budgets depending on the individual.

We can certainly suggest great dining venues that offer superb quality food, but we don’t know whether their style/ambience is something to your tastes.

Restaurants with share plates and tapas type offerings often provide exceptional value, such as Coda, Movida Next Door, and Embla. But we could perhaps offer better suggestions the more information you can provide

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
215 posts
89 reviews
44 helpful votes
3. Re: Nice restaurant for special birthday

No more than $175aud for food for both of us. Like most types of food

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
147 reviews
61 helpful votes
4. Re: Nice restaurant for special birthday

I really love Lucy Luis restaurant in Oliver Lane I the city. They are anAsianrestaurant with a really hip vibe. They have a 5 course” let Lucy choose” option which is anumberof sharedplates for about $65 a head. It is busy but service is good and for a treat I recommend asking for a seat at the kitchen where you watch your meal being prepared. I think good value.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
95 posts
57 reviews
28 helpful votes
5. Re: Nice restaurant for special birthday

Red Spice Road is probably the best of the more famous restaurants within short walking distance of the Novotel, also Trattoria Emilia and Maha as well as someone mentioned before. A couple of less famous ones that I really like are Makan which is relatively new and Souk, they are probably a bit more casual but delicious.

Edited: 20 November 2018, 10:18
Fitzroy, Australia
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
479 reviews
414 helpful votes
6. Re: Nice restaurant for special birthday

The people and setting at Red Spice Road are nice but the food is fairly pedestrian.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
147 reviews
61 helpful votes
7. Re: Nice restaurant for special birthday

Lucy Luis would fit this budget

Reply to: Nice restaurant for special birthday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted