We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get from Avalon Airport to Melbourne

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
How to get from Avalon Airport to Melbourne

My husband and I will be travelling to Melbourne for 7 days and will be arriving at Avalon Airport and will be leaving from there as well. What is the best and cheapest way to get to Melbourne city from the airport? We plan to rent a car and go to Great Ocean Road first, so is it easier to drive from there onwards to Melbourne, then return the car there or is it better/cheaper to go via a bus?

11 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,675 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: How to get from Avalon Airport to Melbourne

If you look at a map, you will see that Avalon is on the way from Melbourne to the Great Ocean Road. Pick up the car at Avalon and drop it off when you get to Melbourne.

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: How to get from Avalon Airport to Melbourne

thank you for your advice

Edited: 16 November 2018, 14:53
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,936 posts
49 reviews
3. Re: How to get from Avalon Airport to Melbourne

Hi I just hope you have no intention of getting into a hire car straight after arriving on a long haul flight from Malaysia which is a really bad idea. If that is what your intention is your best bet would be to get the Skybus into Geelong just chill out in the city get a good nights rest and hire a car in Geelong the next day to commence your road trips.

There is a great range of accommodation within walking distance of the Geelong Station where the Skybus drops off and all the major vehicle rental companies are close to the city.

When are you doing the trip and how much time are you allowing to do the GOR?

https://www.visitgeelongbellarine.com.au/

www.visitgreatoceanroad.org.au

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
4,365 posts
92 reviews
4. Re: How to get from Avalon Airport to Melbourne

+1 for Famrick - spend your first night in Geelong. You can drop the car back in Geelong and catch the train to Melbourne.

So day 1 - skybus to Geelong, overnight Geelong

Day 2 - pick up car, GOR, o/n Apollo Bay

Day 3 - GOR, o/n Port Campbell

Day 4 - GOR sights, drive inland route back to Geelong, train to Melbourne, o/n Melbourne

Days 5, 6 - o/n Melbourne

Day 7 - take skybus to Avalon Airport, fly home

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: How to get from Avalon Airport to Melbourne

hi Famrick, yeah after doing a bit of research on my own, i have come to the same conclusion too. going to take a skybus to geelong, spend a night there. then get a rental car n go to GOR. but my flight reaches at 8pm, assuming there is no delay and the last skybus leaves at 8.30pm. if i miss the skybus is there other options besides taking a taxi? the taxi fare will cut a big hole in my budget. i did see that there is a train station at Lara-7 minutes away from the airport. can that get me to Geelong?

i plan to leave bright n early for GOR and do a self tour for 1-2day.

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
6. Re: How to get from Avalon Airport to Melbourne

@loki

i plan to go to several touristy places in melbourne city, puffing billy, william rickett sanctuary, phillip island.

wonder how many days it would take for me to cover all these places. i dont suppose i have any time left to fly to sydney for a short visit right? my husband wants to visit sydney as well but unfortunately we couldn't change the flight tickets already.

p/s: this is our first trip to australia

Edited: 16 November 2018, 18:39
Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
4,365 posts
92 reviews
7. Re: How to get from Avalon Airport to Melbourne

What time of year?

The GOR needs 2 nights / 3 days.

Phillip Island needs a whole day. Bus tours are a good idea, and you can do a half day bus tour. All bus tours take you to see the penguins. If you are here in summer, it will be a very late return (midnight). In winter, you'll be back in Melbourne by about 9pm.

Puffing Billy and William Ricketts Sanctuary can be done on the same day in summer. Harder in winter due to shorter daylight hours but still possible. PB can be accessed by public transport. Not sure about WRS and getting from one to the other.

No, you don't have time for Melbourne, the GOR and Sydney. Save Sydney for another trip.

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: How to get from Avalon Airport to Melbourne

Hi Loki. We will be traveling in mid Sept. thanks for pointing out bout the shorter daylight hours. We will look into that. Alright we will save Sydney for another trip.

Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: How to get from Avalon Airport to Melbourne

Hi, you will see from December 5, the Skybus to Geelong leaves 8:40 pm - 10 mins later.

I think the Geelong itinerary suggested is excellent advice. No way could you fit in Sydney with the other activities. The Penguins are very special, wear warm clothes at night, it is cold in September.

I assume as this is the only international flight they think you will be cleared through customs fast. Just remember not to bring any food into Australia ... this will cause you serious delays and problems. If in doubt declare and then Customs will be helpful. enjoy.

Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
10. Re: How to get from Avalon Airport to Melbourne

Hi, you will see from December 5, the Skybus to Geelong leaves 8:40 pm - 10 mins later.

I think the Geelong itinerary suggested is excellent advice. No way could you fit in Sydney with the other activities. The Penguins are very special, wear warm clothes at night, it is cold in September.

I assume as this is the only international flight they think you will be cleared through customs fast. Just remember not to bring any food into Australia ... this will cause you serious delays and problems. If in doubt declare and then Customs will be helpful. enjoy.

Reply to: How to get from Avalon Airport to Melbourne
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted