We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

13CABS is a SCAM! Customer beware

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
13CABS is a SCAM! Customer beware

Worst service ever and I have booked thousands of cabs around the world! Cab driver #599332 refused to switch on his meter and demanded $100 cash up front. Said it was "surge pricing" for Melbourne Cup. When we complained to 13CABS they rang the driver we could hear the phone ringing and he refused to pick up the phone. #599332 driver he told us he was his “own boss” and answers to no-one! I became scared we were never going to make it home safely. He threatened to drop us off in an unfamiliar location unless we paid the "surge" price. I have messaged, emailed and tweeted 13cabs for four days received no response. I would like some assurance from the operator that steps have been taken to ensure passengers are charged fairly and are safe. All over their facebook page I can see 13CABS advertising "no surge pricing" this is false advertising and therefore illegal. Will use a nice safe uber with a 5* rating next time at an agreed price. Don't get scammed like I did!

27 replies to this topic
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
31,294 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: 13CABS is a SCAM! Customer beware

This may help: …vic.gov.au/about-us/…complaint-handling

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
13,159 posts
122 reviews
2. Re: 13CABS is a SCAM! Customer beware

Quick question ... I assume he asked for the money before taking off? Why didn't you just get out?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
31,294 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: 13CABS is a SCAM! Customer beware

There was a cab shortage and Uber were surge pricing?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12,299 posts
34 reviews
4. Re: 13CABS is a SCAM! Customer beware

This is exactly why Uber is so successful. Our daughter would never catch a taxi in Sydney but will take Uber anywhere.

And complain here

https:/…ComplaintEnquiryForm

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
5,273 posts
207 reviews
5. Re: 13CABS is a SCAM! Customer beware

Awful that this happened to you and also stupid on the part of the driver when there is so much competition these days. When he demanded $100 cash "up front", just take his number and get out, reporting him to the commission in the link Luigi provided. I think it's a bit strong to call 13CABS a scam though as it was the driver, not the company engaging in this bad behaviour.

All the best.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
17,182 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: 13CABS is a SCAM! Customer beware

13CABS is a booking system. Used by hundreds of thousands of us every day. How can you blame an entire booking system for the actions of a single driver. Silly hysterics.

You will have the details of the driver in your ap history so just use that to lodge a complaint via the link further above.

Note that the driver may also have been genuinely confused given that the taxi companies and state government are currently in discussions about fixed pricing and surge pricing being introduced to compete with Uber. Plenty in the media about it in recent weeks.

And note that if you had caught an uber that same day - the surge pricing back to the city was over $300!

melbourne
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
62 reviews
7. Re: 13CABS is a SCAM! Customer beware

13CABS is not a scam, but it certainly sounds like the particular driver tried it on

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,461 posts
70 reviews
8. Re: 13CABS is a SCAM! Customer beware

We just took a 1300CABS taxi from the airport. The driver was friendly and helpful. No complaints here! As has been said, it’s not right to blast a whole company for the actions of one person.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,286 posts
60 reviews
9. Re: 13CABS is a SCAM! Customer beware

I totally agree with the last three comments. I use both 13CABS and Uber and I can certainly say 13CABS is not a scam. As PP said, you will have the history of the driver in your records. If you believe he was dishonest, then report him.

1 post
10. Re: 13CABS is a SCAM! Customer beware

Hi Helen,

We're very sorry to hear about this experience, and our Driver Services Team will address this matter with the Driver under the 13CABS Codes of Conduct.

While we are not permitted to discuss what occurred with the Driver during our process, we can advise that it will depend on their past driving and feedback history. Action taken can include counselling, financial penalties, remedial training at the Driver's own expense, or cancellation of the Driver's accreditation to drive for 13CABS. This incident will also be recorded on the Driver's permanent record.

Please accept our sincere apologies for this Driver's actions. They by no means reflect the levels of service and professionalism we expect from 13CABS affiliated Drivers.

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. You are welcome to contact us at customercare@13CABS.com.au at any time.

Thank you,

Kirsty, 13CABS.

Reply to: 13CABS is a SCAM! Customer beware
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted