We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Realistic to cover this in 9days?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Realistic to cover this in 9days?

Hi, forced to cut short an originally 12days trip to 9days, mid June 2013.

Is this initinerary still do-able in 9 days, pls? Comfy or too rush? Hope to keep last 2 nights in Melbourne itself for some market shopping.

Self-drive for group of 10 with elderly and baby. Appreciate your advise, pls:

Melbourne / (via Maroondah hw for mountain ash forest Black Spur) Healesville / Marysville (waterfalls - Steavenson’s Fall)? / Alexandra / Mansfield (Mount Buller) / Warburton or Yarra Junction / Belgrave (puffing billy) / Phillip Island / Mornington (Red Hill Market, colourful bathing boxes along beach, Arthur’s Seat view) / Sorrento (via Searoad Ferries) / Queenscliff / Torquay / Anglesea (kangaroos) / Lorne / Kennett River (for wild koalas) / Apollo Bay / Princetown (12 Apostles) / Melbourne

Edited: 18 November 2012, 19:46
Oz
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Realistic to cover this in 9days?

Hi,

The short answer is yes but with lots of driving and little time to explore or recover from a long haul flight. I would halve your itinerary and give yourselves the opportunity to enjoy your trip. It will be difficult enough with a group of your size and demographic.

You do realise that it will be winter here in Oz? There will be snow and ice in the alps and you may have difficulty standing upright on Phillip Island and the GOR look outs. Still it is your holiday !

Good Luck,

Edited: 19 November 2012, 00:39
Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Realistic to cover this in 9days?

To be honest the concerns expressed to you in previous threads IMO still apply, given the size of your group and the need to keep such a wide age range comfortable and happy.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Realistic to cover this in 9days?

Hi @OZRCFLYER, is it not advisable to make the trip that period then? Due to weather in consideration to our group demographics? I really don't want my elderly mum and baby to feel awful throughout the trip! And unfortunately, our dates are not flexy...as u'd have expected to accommodate 10pax...

And hi, @MacKnee, did I miss out any of your replies in my previous threads?? I'd love to read about ur concerns again!

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,336 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Realistic to cover this in 9days?

I didn't check right through all your threads and I don't remember if I posted on any of them or simply read them and had nothing to add, but glancing back I found myself nodding in agreement, as I did with the reply on this thread. Suggest you revise the info you have been given and focus on identifying the priorities that will give the whole group a comfortable and enjoyable holiday experience.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
5,553 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Realistic to cover this in 9days?

Chelle, I'm assuming you have not been to Melbourne before? Hence, the very busy schedule you have planned. You have done a lot of planning into your itinerary and I would hate you and your family to be disappointed, for what ever reason.

However, I must stress to you the importance the weather will play in your decision as to where you will, or wont go. The middle of June is winter and the days are very short. Sun light hours will be from about 8.30 am - 4.30 pm. But it's the cold that will hit you most of all. Coming from Singapore, (where I have visited many times), you will really feel the cold. Especially an elderly person or a baby.

The destinations you have selected, for example Phillip Island, Sorrento, Marysville, are more summer destinations.

I would allow 3 days to tour the GOR, and at least 2 days for Mt Buller.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Realistic to cover this in 9days?

It's not realistic at that time of year, given the short daylight hours, & pushing it even in summer. You will be driving long distances EVERY day, except if you spend a full day at Mt Buller. You need to drop either the GOR or Mt Buller to make it a comfortable trip.

You might like to re read this thread, especially the report back about driving to Mt Buller.

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g255098-i277-k5…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Realistic to cover this in 9days?

hi navy13, thanks. I've been to Melbourne before but not for leisure. I am aware of the short hours actually n that kinda work for us since I don't want the group to travel too much into the day. let me relook into the travel distances again. I use route planner closely while planning. and yes I did set aside 3 days for GOR.I'll likely drop Phillip Island. Sorrento is really just to cut thru fm Phillip island to GOR as suggested by someone in my other thread...

and hi again ellenwillow, I do plan to stay a night at Mansfield if we really do Mt. Buller. I'm also considering taking AAT bus up to Lake Mountain or Mt Buller instd of driving.

and apologies, my list might be misleading: some of the places like Healesville, Queenscliff, Torquay, Lorne r just places we'd pass by and perhaps for brief toilet break or for food; not all for sightseeing...

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Victoria, Road Trips
Level Contributor
4,572 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Realistic to cover this in 9days?

Dropping Phillip Island will make the trip more comfortable. I

I haven't used the RACV route planner, so don't know if it just gives distances or travel times. Keep in mind that many of the roads you will be driving are single lane country roads & through the Yarra Valley & along the GOR they are windy due to hills. This means that it's harder to overtake if you get stuck behind slow moving trucks & cars. You need to allow more time than you may think you need as its unlikely you will be able to drive at the speed limit for all your trip. You also need to watch for road conditions such as Black Ice which will slow you down as well.

It's also best to plan to be at your overnight destination by 4.30pm each day. You want to avoid driving at dusk or at night as this is when wildlife is active. & wombats can do serious damage to cars, so the driver needs to be very alert (which they won't be if they have been driving for hours already).

Are you planning to visit Healesville Sanctuary on your way to Mansfield? You will find that if you are sightseeing, you won't arrive in Mansfield until late afternoon, so it will be too late to go up Mt Buller. As it's a priority for you to see snow & you will probably be hiring clothes for everyone to wear, you will want to allow a full day there. This is why I recommend 2 nights a Mansfield (as does the poster in the previous thread I linked to). I also suggest using the local buses to get up the mountain. Doing a day tour from Melbourne is not a bad idea as everyone can relax, but you will be in the bus for roughly 4 hours each way, which may not be comfortable for your child.

If you skip Phillip Island, look at driving back to Melbourne via the Hume Freeway, then going the Western Ring Road toward Geelong. Alternately, look at going via Daylesford, perhaps Ballarat, & driving the GOR 'backwards' toward Melbourne (if this makes sense)

Please come back when you have revised your itinerary. We just want to help you have a safe holiday as well as an enjoyable one. Many visitors underestimate driving times & end up rushing to make their next destination, which does not make an enjoyable holiday :-)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Realistic to cover this in 9days?

this is really helpful, ellenwillow! much appreciated. I'm already relooking at my itinerary and will certainly share again to get ur feedback. and no, decided not to go to healsville sanctuary. just fretting over which snow resort to go to since snow cover is hard to predict esp at my time of travel...preferred buller as its more of a 'real' snow mountain w chairlifts etc but time might not be on our side... oh btw, I'm just using the route planner tool on visitvictoria website and that gives me info on distance and time. really easy to use I thought :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Realistic to cover this in 9days?

hi all, had to reschedule our trip and new date is fm abt 14 dec for abt 9-10days. sadly, we'd miss the snow by then. but what abt other sights like penguin island, puffing billy, gor etc? Still gd to stick with my itinerary minus mount buller? too hot?

Edited: 23 March 2013, 07:32