We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

planning a day and a half solo in Hobart!

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
planning a day and a half solo in Hobart!

I have a whole monday and half a tuesday to myself in Hobart in early May. I'm staying near the CBD on Collins Street.

Places that particularly appeal are Louisa's Walk, Mt Wellington, TMAG, MONA (of course!), the Botannical Gardens, Salamanca, Bonorong National Park and the Penitentiary Chapel.

I will have a car but am happy to walk and use transport.

Would you experts please help me plan the best order to do things in. Will I be able to fit everything in?

I have previously visited Richmond, Port Arthur, the Tamar Valley so want to stick to Hobart.

Recommendations for good coffee stops would be great too.

Hope you can help me put together an exhausting itinerary!

Cheers

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,121 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: planning a day and a half solo in Hobart!

It's <almost possible> to do everything on the list except for Bonorong without car, but a car will be necessary to save time and hopefully fit EVERYTHING in the time limit.

So, on your full day, rent the car, then drive to Bonorong by 9am, then drive to MONA for a couple of hours quick look, then back to the city (BY 2pm!!) for Louisa's Walk, then drive to the top of Mount Wellington after that. Phew!! But you've done all the hard ones!

Note that the real problem on this day is Louisa's Walk. And I don't really think you'll make it, but it's impossible the next half day. :(

Next day do the stuff in the inner city, leaving TMAG till last. Again, you probably won't fit TMAG in.

An extra day would help. :)

Retro in Salamanca opens early for coffee.

Luigi

Edited: 19 April 2012, 16:17
Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: planning a day and a half solo in Hobart!

thanks for that Luigi.

Maybe a bit full on! I think i'll leave out Bonorong National Park this time then will have time to take the 9.30am ferry to MONA on monday and have the morning there then back for Louisa's Walk at 2. Maybe Botannical Gardens afterwards? Could that work?

Then on tuesday I have till noon so hopefully Mount Wellington, Salamanca, the Peniteniary and maybe, just maybe, a quick squizz at TMAG.

I still don't really have a feel for the size of Hobart and what is possible.

Cheers

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
26,121 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: planning a day and a half solo in Hobart!

The thing to see at the Botanical Gardens is the sub-antarctic cold-house - and maybe Pete's vege patch if you were an ABC gardening fan. So it's possible to fit that in the afternoon. But I think I'd put Bonorong higher on my list. Take a look at their night tours. That would solve all your problems about fitting stuff in.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: planning a day and a half solo in Hobart!

good thinking-will do. Great recommendations for Botannical Gardens.

Cheers

5. Re: planning a day and a half solo in Hobart!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 05:13