We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 questions on the Whitsundays

Dublin
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Topic
2 questions on the Whitsundays

My fiance and I are currently planning our honeymoon for May 09 and are thinking of a trip to Oz which would include Sydney, the Whitsundays and Port Douglas.

I'd be very grateful if anyone 'in the know' could help me out with two questions.

- Having searched through the net and on this forum I am very confused as to which island would suit us best.

We are looking for a tropical paradise island with 5 star luxury accomodation. From my research the Qualia is one of the most luxurious hotels in the whitsundays and gets amazing reviews however it doesn't seem to have a white sandy beach but more a small pebble one?

Can anyone tell me what the beach situation is with the Qualia?

I'm also concerned at comments about Hamilton Island being over-run with tourists?

My second question is regarding the weather. Many of the weather charts i've look up give conflicting temperatures. What is the average temp we can expect in the Whitsundays during May?

thanks in advance for you help.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 questions on the Whitsundays

Hi JillnZac

If you want luxury accomodation with big sandy beaches, have you considered Lizard Island?

This island is north of the Whitsundays, and is around the same price as Qualia I believe.

Regards

Rapture

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 questions on the Whitsundays

Hi Jill

Weather is one of those questions ... every year can be different

I have been in May the last 2 years .. we wore shorts and t shirts all the time and whilst my son and grandson went swimming in the pools .. it was too cold for me but I like really warm water temperatures

Days were lovely and sunny and the nights very pleasant although if a breeze gets up you may need a light jacket

Also May is considered a fairly quite month .. Catseye Beach is quite large and parts of it are devoid of people

The main time you would see lots of people may be at dinner down by the Marina when most people tend to eat between 6 - 8 pm ..

However if you are considering Qualia, this resort is behind large timber gates and only people actually staying in the Resort are allowed beyond these gates

If you wish to PM me with an email address, I can forward some photos which I took last year .. I got several photos of the beach which looked very pleasant with the most amazing outlook .. it is a "man made beach" which they have tidied up and whilst I didnt walk on it, I presume it was nearly all sand as that is what people expect ..

There is also a lovely pool right next to the beach and it was very deserted .. only 1 person snorkelling off the beach plus the beach attendants who were waiting for someone to take a boat out

Have a great trip to Oz

Abbey

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,850 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 questions on the Whitsundays

Guruswife did a recent review of Paradise Bay Eco lodge in the Whitsundays, could be worth looking at.

4. Re: 2 questions on the Whitsundays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 06:46
Get answers to your questions about Whitsunday Islands