We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

February weather in the Reef?

Chicago, IL
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
February weather in the Reef?

My fiance and I are travelling to Australia in February. How's the weather there? Any recommendations on whether or not to fly to one of the islands (Haymen/Lizard/Orpheus) during rainy season? Anything else I should consider? Thanks!

Byron Bay
Level Contributor
63 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: February weather in the Reef?

The good thing is February is our summer and the school holidays will have just finished. The negative is the the Great Barrier Reef has box jellyfish during this period and is not safe to swim except by wearing special stinger suits. Some places are safer than others - check out the individual islands for their recommendations. Their peak season is during our winter months in Australia as it is still very warm in Queensland.

From Frazer Island south in February is much safer and much less hotter although it is still very hot everwhere at that time of year. You can swim most places in Australia at that time and you will have warm water (Tasmania will always be colder!).

Depends how long you are coming for. Australia is a big country. Do you want to see beaches, countryside, cities? The tourist things usually involve a few days in Sydney doing the Manly ferry to Manly, visiting the Opera House (next to the Ferry Terminal anyhow), Bondi beach (not one of our best beaches but foreigners flock there), Taronga Park Zoo, Darling Harbour.

Perhpas a day or overnight trip to the Blue Mountains west of Sydney.

In Victoria is the Great Ocean Road which would be great in February but it is a full day's travelling from Sydney.

Uluru (Ayers Rock) in the centre of Australia is unique as well as Alice Springs (nearby).

Frazer Island is fantastic. Stay there at least overnight. There are several options of accommodation and 4WD tours from Noosa/Tewantin or from Hervey Bay (longer).

The east coast of NSW is incredible with magnificent beaches, heaps of little towns & some larger ones along the way north. A lot of people hire a car from Sydney and make their way north to Brisbane or Sunshine Coast (Noosa) and drop off the car and fly to other destinations.

Also, we have some great winery areas including the Hunter Valley just north of Sydney as well as other areas in Australia. If you drove north from Sydney you could detour there easily.

People will no doubt have some other suggestions.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
1,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: February weather in the Reef?

G'day casablanca 22 It will be hot and humid in the tropics in Feb, and it will be stinger season although, you won't find any box jellyfish on the islands there is another jellyfish called irukandji that may be present at that time of year, these creatures are easily dealt with by donning a lycra stinger suit. So if I was you I would still be visitng The Whitsundays where you have any number of accommodation choices from mainland to island resorts. The Whitsundays will be the highlight of your Aus. adventure simply because this is where God decided to put all the good things we have to offer in 1 place. We have 74 beautiful islands, the worlds premier beach ( Whitehaven Beach ) and of course the Great Barrier Reef on our doorstep. Your accommodation can be anything from 5 star to backpacker type accomm. with any number of high quality daytrips or o/night sailing cruises to choose from. Our highlights are not man made they come from nature and she does it a lot better than any man can. check out a couple of local sites and this might help you out www.whitsundayaccommodation.net www.airliebeach.com

Get answers to your questions about Great Barrier Reef